How to convert and restore very old Quicken files from a floppy disc?

Options
wdnkl
wdnkl Member ✭✭✭

I have 2 files I transferred years ago onto floppy discs. I would like to restore them. I have a floppy disc drive and tried to restore them. They did transfer to my c:/documents/Quicken file on my computer and show the "old" files extensions: .QDF-QEL-QPH-QSD & Q3.DIR. When I try to restore and open in my Quicken Classic it does not show as a file at all only my current Q file. When I try to open on my computer the (out of curiosity)," .QDF" , a window opens saying: "close current file"..yes or no. I choose no bc I am of afraid losing my current file I use all the time.. So I am not sure if the file showing on my computer Quicken folder/file will open in my Quicken program or what since it does not show on my Q files list in the Q program. I am confused an not sure how to go forward to get this restored into my Quicken program file list. I hope I am making sense here. I am guessing it is as simple as opening it from the computer "yes"? but I don't want to "replace my current file. Very confusing….

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Take a backup of your current file, to a USB drive or such, and then try to restore the floppy version.

Doing so will close your current file … but you can always restore from the just created backup as needed

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@wdnkl

When I try to open on my computer the (out of curiosity)," .QDF" , a window opens saying: "close current file"..yes or no. I choose no bc I am of afraid losing my current file I use all the time.

Just say Yes. It won't harm your existing file.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What version do you have? You might need to convert the files though an intermediate version or two.

If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

How to use an intermediate version to convert to a newer version

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• wdnkl
    wdnkl Member ✭✭✭
    Options

To volvo girl: My current Q version is 53.26. As I said in my original explanation, they are the old file extensions: .QDF-.QEL-.QPH-.QSD & Q3.DIR." One file is from probably 2000-2001 (I will try the conversion instructions for the 2000 file by way of the intermediate versions). The other file from 1992, it looks like it cannot be converted so I am out of luck for that one

I also tried the "restore" as the others suggested, but a window appeared saying the file needed to be validated and repaired. I tried that and a window appears saying the file needs to be converted (!) first which I thought in the first place.

Thx everyone…

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe you can find or buy an old quicken 98 program or earlier to open the files or convert them. Like on eBay or Amazon. Just do a search. But be careful there maybe scams Or security issues out there. If you can get it into 98 then you can continue on to 2004 & 2013 etc.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

which of your named files does the Q3.DIR appear…. I don't recall ever seeing that one -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• wdnkl
    wdnkl Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My current Version is R53.26 Build 27.1.53.26 WIN. I have had Q since probably 1990 (!). I originally renewed every 3 years till recent where we have to renew every year.

To Ps56k2: The Q.3 DIR was on the extension list for the file from 2000 - 2001. I just rechecked it and the DIR.3 has disappeared! But both files now show the "old" files extensions: .QDF-.QEL-.QPH-.QSD. I do have a hard copy of those files, so all is not lost. Out of curiosity I will try the conversion for the 2000 file when I get some time and see what happens.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is misleading information in the "convert old data files article". Quicken 2004 will convert data files that are older than Quicken 98.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • wdnkl
    wdnkl Member ✭✭✭
    Options

So checking my floppies and date on the files, it looks like I copied these 2 files from my Q in 2002. So I am assuming now I need to download the Quicken 2004 to convert these data files so I can import to my current version of Q? I have an old computer with WIN 7(!) still, so I can download the Quicken 2004 and not have to do this on my WIN10 OS. Additionally, does this convert my files to this "QIF" file?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Converting with Quicken 2004 is probably the right thing to do. It doesn't convert to a QIF file, you will get a new set of files one of which will be a .QDF. If you get that far you can continue the conversion process with Quicken 2013, which is provided in the same article. Converting using Quicken 2013 will result in a single .QDF file that contains everything. If you are going to just to do manual entry you could stop here. Or you can take that .QDF file and Quicken Subscription will read/convert it to the latest format. In truth, Quicken Subscription should be able to read/convert the file set created by Quicken 2004, but I would suggest doing the Quicken 2013 conversion anyways.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • wdnkl
    wdnkl Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am not sure what you mean by "If you are going to just to manual entry you could stop here" means. The "going to just to" wording doesn't make sense to me.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's a typo. He meant "if you are going to just do manual entry".

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• wdnkl
    wdnkl Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thank you…

It turns out that the link volvogirl sent has all the Quicken .exe files to download!

Well I certainly have learned a lesson re export of files for "safe keeping". It is easier to just "Hide" a file. LOL!

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge. Quicken Community is the best!

This discussion has been closed.