Sign into American Express bank failed error in Quicken

Options

This discussion was created from comments split from:

One Step update is not downloading all transactions like before

Comments

• bobsna57
    bobsna57 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am using Quicken Classic and it now requires American Express Downloads to require an authorization and I get redirected to the AMX website where I login to authorize the account. Once I have performed the authorization, AMX website presents a button to "Return to Quicken". When I click that button, I do return to the quicken screen where Quicken generates a connection error.

Worse, I tried to use the Online Reset tool in Quicken which deleted the online settings now trying to reestablish online connectivity which is taking me through the same authorization process and generating the same connection error.

(I could not find how to organize the attached images, but the sequence of the process is:

1st American Express needs your to authorize

4th Authorize the accounts

3rd Return to Quicken

2nd - Connection Error)

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @bobsna57,

The most common cause of this kind of issue is when a browser setting, plug-in/extension, or another program (such as an anti-virus, firewall, or VPN) interferes with the communication between the financial institution and Quicken.

Which browser are you using? Have you tried temporarily setting a different default browser, then going through the authorization process? If you have an antivirus, VPN, and/or firewall, have you tried temporarily pausing it while going through the reauthorization process?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Vlad Kaplan
    Vlad Kaplan Member ✭✭
    Options

Exactly the same problem here. I have an Amex account in Quicken Classic and need to add the second card. Go through the same steps as @bobsna57 described with the exactly the same results.

I'm using the current version of Firefox (no issues logging into Quicken or Amex from the browser). No VPN, no ad blockers (I'm using filtering DNS, so not need) and no funky extensions. Windows defender is the Antivirus and the firewall is a standard Windows service. Nothing unusual. Tried from two different computers. No luck.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Vlad Kaplan,

To help troubleshoot this issue, please provide more information. Does the second card use the same login credentials as the first card? Are you the primary account holder for that second card? Has the second card been connected in Quicken previously, or is this your first time connecting it? Have you tried using an alternate browser? If so, which browser and what were the results?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.