How do I resize printing? Every report now only prints on ¼ of the page,

Options

It started with only some reports, but now every report I print from Quicken Classic Deluxe on Windows prints ¼ size. So tiny it's impossible to read. I run the system on Windows 11 within Parallel Desktop on my Mac. I have updated all software, deleted the printer and re-added it, tried amending all controls for printing, without success.

Everything I print from the Mac - Excel, Mail, Word etc is perfect. And if I print a test page from Windows that is perfect too. So it seems to me the problem emanates from Quicken.

Can someone help me please?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is the 1/4 size what you see in the Print Preview, or is it also in the actual printed output?

If print preview only, there is a issue with that if the Windows display scaling is not set to 100%. See this discussion, which has been open since 201.

QWin Premier subscription
  • AndiLP
    AndiLP Member
    Options

Sadly, no. The print preview is as it should be - the report fills the page.

But when you put ink to paper it comes out all in one corner.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would guess that this issue has something to do with the Parallels environment. You can try searching this forum for "print parallels" without the quotes, and you may find this discussion helpful

QWin Premier subscription
  • AndiLP
    AndiLP Member
    Options

You may be right and I will try researching along those lines. I assumed though, having printed a test page via Windows (which runs within Parallels) and which came out as in the correct size, that the problem lay with Quicken instead.

When I run a test print via the Mac environment I get a page filled with lines of colours and stripes. The test page via Windows is different - it's headed "Windows Printer Test Page" and details printer properties and driver files.

Having said that, it won't be the first time Parallels has presented issues, and the solution seems to always be to uninstall and reinstall it. I dislike doing it because I'm always concerned about the impact on my Quicken (which is fundamental to my work) but eventually I get it back on track. So based on your feedback I'll try that.

Thanks for spending the time to help me deal with my issue and giving me another perspective to work on. Appreciate it.

If you come up with any other ideas don't hesitate to fling them my way

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@AndiLP ,
    When you get to the printer selection dialog in Quicken, do select the Properties button and set the Document Size to 8.5 x 11" Letter-size paper. Does this help print correctly?

• AndiLP
    AndiLP Member
    Options

Tried that. Tried setting the properties for the page to no margins, tried fill the page, tried all the various setting options available, to no avail.

Still working on the Parallels angle but finding their support articles difficult to follow/understand.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How is the printer connected to Windows? Via USB, Ethernet cable or wireless WiFi?
    Or does it go thru Parallels and maybe even thru Mac OS print services?
    In the wireless case try Ethernet cable or USB connection.
    And do make sure you have the latest Windows printer drivers installed. What comes with the Windows installation material may not be the latest.

• AndiLP
    AndiLP Member
    Options

Do you know I have no idea.

I have a Mac with printers installed, one for whichever country I'm in. On the Mac I have a Virtual Machine running within Parallels Desktop (PD). I use this purely so that I can run Quicken for Windows (Classic Deluxe) as I don't like the Quicken for Mac version. PD is set up such that files and printer etc can be shared. And hitherto it's all worked well, well except for intermittent problems, which usually arise after systems updates. This I think is a case in point. The Mac is connected to the modem/network by Wifi and the printer to the modem/network by ethernet cable

Uh-oh. I tried moving the printer as suggested to a direct connection with my Mac via Ethernet. The Mac to printer worked but now I've lost the printer entirely from Quicken. I tried downloading the driver from Canon (in Windows) but I'm told Canon no longer supports this printer. So now I have Quicken not connected to my printer at all…….. The only option I get when I open the printing function is "Microsoft Print to PDF on PORTPROMPT". I have no idea what this is or how to use it!

I'm going backwards - fast!

• AndiLP
    AndiLP Member
    Options

Well, the things you learn in a hurry when you need to.

I figured out how to use the Microsoft print to PDF function. And it works. I 'print' a pdf to a file saved on my Mac and then if I want a hard copy I can print that pdf from the Mac side and…. it comes out full-size!

It's a little round-the-houses but it works. And it means I have a copy of the report on file should I want it later.

Not sure that's where I was looking to go, but work can recommence.

Thanks for your input.

This discussion has been closed.