NEED TO REINSTALL BUT...

Options
roberta
roberta Member ✭✭

HI, I have a Windows 11 PC that I had Quicken Home & Business 2015 installed on. It's been working PERFECTLY until…my hard drive failed and I had to reinstall everything. Here's my question…When I try to reinstall the program from the original DVD, I get a message telling me I need to uninstall the previous version manually before I can reinstall. I've been operating computers since 1988 and know what I'm doing…I uninstalled, rebooted, then went back and manually deleted some of the leftover files - including in the system register and then rebooted - only to get the same error again. We use this for our small business which we will be retiring from in 2 years after 45yrs so I have NO INTEREST in purchasing new software especially since I've been using this for so long without any Quicken problems. Any ideas on how to get this reinstalled? I need to start my year end reports etc…. Thanks

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How did you do that uninstall?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since your hard drive failed, you might be out of luck on getting your Quicken 2015 to function. A while back there was a change made to the Quicken.ini file that does not work with Quicken 2014-2017 so those programs will not work if/when they are reinstalled.

One thing that has sometimes (not always) worked in getting the program to reinstall and run properly is to obtain a copy of the Quicken.ini file that you were using before your hard drive crashed. Do you have a system backup file that you can copy that file from? If you do, you might want to try copying that Quicken.ini file from there and then pasting it over the Quicken.ini file on your new hard drive. It might allow your Quicken 2015 installation to work…sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

If you do not have the system backup, then there is another method you might want to consider trying.

You can read more about them both of these options at: How to reinstall Quicken 2017 - accidentally deleted it (edit).

If nothing in that thread allows you to restore your Quicken 2015 functionality, then I'm sorry to say that you will need to upgrade to Quicken subscription if you want to access and use your Quicken data file.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• roberta
    roberta Member ✭✭
    Options

TO NotACPA to uninstall, I went in and did the run of the mill uninstall via control panel/programs chose quicken and hit uninstall then did the other file deletions as noted in my original inquiry. I do have the program on a backup drive that I can hopefully get the 'ini file off of. I'll try it and get back to you guys probably Mon or Tues. THANKS for the suggestions boatnmaniac

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That uninstall is what I suspected … and is the root of the problem. It didn't get ALL of the old program … only a Q uninstall can do that.

That's why you're getting the cyclic need to uninstall messages.

I don't believe that the old Q Uninstall program is still publicly available … but if you contact Q Support (link at the top of this page) they can probably help you.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• roberta
    roberta Member ✭✭
    Options

OK! I found a quicken.ini on a backup but it was in the windows folder. Is that the one you're talking about?

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

It would be in the Windows folder, not in the Quicken folder. Here is the path that shows for it on my computer: C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config.

I am thinking that if that backup you found was created prior to the hard drive issue, then that is probably the Quicken.ini file that you need to try to fix the reinstallation issue. Copy that file from your backup and then paste it over the file that was created during the reinstallation.

Let us know if it worked for you.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• 608quick2017
    Options

I had a similar issue. My version on Quicken 2017 updated "somehow" and started asking me to log in or verify my ID. I have the same sentiments roberta as far as new software OR subscriptions.
    After trying several things and going thru this community I found a fix but had to add a few steps. Heres's what I had to do.
    Uninstall quicken using CCleaner. Then immediately run a registry clean to remove leftover quicken stuff. Then shut down the PC. Rebooted PC. DISSABLE WIFI AND/OR WIRED CONNECTION. Don't let quicken try to get to the internet and auto update.
    As NotACPA and others have posted replace the Config folder. I found an old backup I did last year.
    Find the Config folder at C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config.
    I reinstalled the original download of quciken 2017 Delux.
    DO NOT START QUICKEN WHEN INSTALL FINISHES.
    Delete the newly installed Config folder. Create a new folder named Config. Copy the files from the backup Config folder to the new one.
    These are the extra steps I had to do.
    I keep backups every month of quicken. If you have an old QDF file double click on this to start quicken.
    If this has issues find an older one until quicken opens with no issues.
    DO NOT CLOSE QUICKEN IN BETWEEN SELECTING FILES. JUST KEEP RESTORING BACKUPS.
    Once quicken opens and you see your registers, do a restore of a recent backup.
    Save a copy. Close quicken. Open quicken using the saved copy.
    Lastly I use my firewall and blocked quicken from internet access!

• roberta
    roberta Member ✭✭
    Options

THanks so much - I will try this soon and get back to you with my results. If this works it sure would be a HUGE help!!

This discussion has been closed.