budgeted income on summary graph

Options
deathrs
deathrs Member ✭✭

I copyed this question from a closed post from Paul Smith on June, 2022. I have this same problem and am wondering if there was ever a resolution? It is not a big deal but i do like the summary graph.

Thanks,

Can someone help decipher the graph at the top of the budget page?

Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭✭May 2022 edited June 2022I have created a "cash flow" report to keep track of my annual spending.  Personal  Income / Personal Expenses.  My annual budget is laid out month by month - the last column being Budget Totals for the year.  

So the Total Income for the year for me includes Social Security plus Personal Income.  In the Personal Income category I have included transfers from various banking accounts and distributions from IRA accounts.  So I can easily sum up these amounts and see the totals on the big annual budget spreadsheet.  No problem...   

Unfortunately that number is not the same as the "Budgeted Income" on the big graph at the top of the budget page!!

When I click on the "SAVINGS" portion of the graph, it helpfully defines Savings as Budgeted Income - Budgeted Expenses (including reminders).   The budgeted Expenses is exactly the same number as the Budget spreadsheet summary, but the Budgeted Income is not...  The number in the bar graph is $18K larger than the numbers in the spread sheet!

When I defined this cash flow report, I excluded dividends from my IRA accounts because they are not actually available to "spend".  I did include expected RMD distributions as a cash transfer from the accounts.  Could the bar graph be including these dividends whereas my spread sheet is not??

Can someone help me out here?  I've been trying to explain this to myself for a month??  to no avail.    Am I missing something??

Paul Smith

Comments

• deathrs
    deathrs Member ✭✭
    Options

Well…. After studying the budget under the "planning tool". it seems that the analytics are plagued with issues. One must be very careful when switching views (graph vs annual) as the summary total will change. The budget can be used but not very user friendly and has calculation issue as pointed out in the original post from 2022. So I guess the planning tool in Quicken is user beware…

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is very unfortunate, but it is a fact that there are differences between all three of these, budget reports, budget graph view, and annual view. And if one than throws in a report outside of those like "cash flow" then one would have to be very careful to customize it to have any chance at even matching the budget report.

One of the major differences between the "views" and the reports is that the views have rollovers, and the reports don't.

I might add that the graph at the top of the views is very misleading in what it is actually showing.

BTW if you right click on the time stamp under the name in any given comment that will give you a link to that comment, and you can post that in a comment so that people can go directly to that comment and tied everything together.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.