Why is the Portfolio Value Report inflating the number of shares?

Options
Bob P
Bob P Member ✭✭
edited February 6 in Reports (Windows)

The Portfolio Value Report is dramatically inflating the number of shares for stocks that have split in the past (AAPL, NVDA, NFLX…). The report started doing this 11/16/23. Prior to that it was fine.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What has sometimes happened to me is that Quicken does not always recognize that split transactions have already been downloaded and entered into the register. When that happens (not very often) Quicken will enter those split transactions a 2nd time resulting in a duplicate transaction.

You could scroll through the Account Register to see if you find any duplicate transactions for the split transactions in question. Any duplicate transactions found will need to be manually deleted.

If that does not resolve the issue for you, I think the 1st thing I would do is to go to the Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Reconcile Shares. You will get a popup that will either state the shares reported by your brokerage matches what shows in Quicken or it will identify which security(ies) have count discrepancies. What does the popup show you?

I would also take a look below the Account Register to see if the tab for Placeholder Entries shows something other than (0). If there are Placeholders shown there, whatever caused them will first need to be resolved so the Placeholders can be deleted.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• garspss
    garspss Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have noticed the same issue with the Portfolio value report. It appears only the report is wrong. If I get a transaction report or look at account holdings or reconcile shares, everything looks good. I have three accounts that have held NVO, which split 2:1 9/20/2023. If I delete the stock split in one account, the splits which appeared in the other two accounts disappears. Then the portfolio value report shows the correct number of shares before the split. If I reenter the split manually or by downloading quotes, the split shows in three accounts and the portfolio report is wrong again. I have run a validate and repair to validate the file and rebuild investing lots. That does nothing to change this problem.

• tkstaple
    tkstaple Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue with the Portfolio Value report since 11/16 and it has nothing to do with splits. Seems to have happened from the latest upgrade to the program. There must have been a bug in that update. Can it be fixed?

• Bob P
    Bob P Member ✭✭
    Options

This started with the latest update on 11/16/23 when they added new/enhanced reporting!

• Bob P
    Bob P Member ✭✭
    Options

This started with the latest update on 11/16/23 when they added new/enhanced reporting!

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-8214)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• garspss
    garspss Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I created and submitted a minimal test case for your debug pleasure. The three brokerage accounts were created with 7, 17, 19 shares of NVO on 9/1/2023. The 2:1 split was automatically inserted on 9/20/2023 when I updated quotes for NVO. Incorrectly, portfolio value report shows 162 NVO if not subtotaled. Correctly, portfolio value report shows 14, 34, 38 shares NVO if subtotal by account.

• deaven
    deaven Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue; it appears that if a stock split appears in multiple accounts (as normal if the stock is held in multiple accounts), then the singular split is processed multiple times when summing a portfolio value. This math explains why @garspss test case comes out that way - an extra 2:1 split is being applied in the case of a portfolio value report spanning multiple accounts.

I have also submitted a bug report from the app.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina - Isn't what @deaven posted what you found out in your testing?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• garspss
    garspss Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Here is the result of my test case. It shows the holdings 162 shares from lots of 14, 34 and 38. It should be 86 shares. Another double would have been 172 shares, not 162. Executing the split twice is not sufficient to explain the error. Notice that the rest of the report is totally correct. Only the total number of shares is wrong.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Boatnmaniac,

It does match up to my test cases and seems to hold true for the Portfolio Value inflation when that stock split is reflected in 2 accounts. When you have the stock split in more than 2 accounts, such as what @garspss is reporting, then that pattern does not hold true. For example, I updated my test case to have one of the stock splits in 3 accounts (screenshots below)

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• MangoMan
    MangoMan Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same issue - Affects reports (e.g., Portfolio Value) that provide total share counts from all investment accounts involving both forward and reverse splits. Does not affect the Security Detail View>My Holdings.

• Qkn Premium
    Qkn Premium Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina - Do you know when a fix for this issue can be expected?

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Qkn Premium,

"Do you know when a fix for this isse can be expected?"

Unfortunately, no. Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when fixes will be completed and released. However, as of now, the ticket for this issue does show it is still open and being worked on.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• Qkn Premium
    Qkn Premium Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for looking into this. So can this not be treated as a regression and priority bumped up?

• dblar
    dblar Member
    Options

Glad to see this has been reported. I have four accounts with TTD stock. Including all four in a portfolio report multiplies the individual account shares by 1, 10, 100 and 1000 respectively. I could make good use of those extra 75000 shares!

• MangoMan
    MangoMan Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Appears to be fixed now in vR53.26 Build 27.1.53.26 - Don't see the issue listed in the Release notes though. Curious if others are seeing correct data now?

• garspss
    garspss Member ✭✭✭
    Options

You are correct, @MangoMan. vR53.26 Build 27.1.53.26 fixes the split problem discussed here. I started Quicken and prevented it from installing the update. My test case fails in vR53.16 Build 27.1.53.16 as I described on Nov 20. When I updated to .26, the report was correct. The release notes don't explain it. I still have an unrelated problem where the date shortcut 'M' moves to the next month instead of previous. I posted elsewhere and submitted a problem report.

• Tom-R
    Tom-R Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, it's fixed but there is a new problem with the portfolio value report. Completed options trades show up twice, once for the buy and once for the sell. As if they are 2 different securities. They shouldn't show at all since they were closed out.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Tom-R,

The issue you mention sounds similar to an issue others using the patch have observed.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• hmorton71
    hmorton71 Member ✭✭
    Options

On windows classic premier subscription. Problem started occurring about October of 2023. I have a call in ticket number on this open alert. The report will not tabulate the correct share quantities when you do not subtotal on the report with different stock quantities listed on multiple accounts. The report will calculate the correct totals when you subtotal by account only. This is a Quicken problem per the quicken associate I talked to and he indicated that other people had called in the same problem. This issue was called in on Dec 4, 2023 and is still listed as an open alert.

• hmorton71
    hmorton71 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I have the updated newest release of windows quicken classic premier update as of Dec 18, 2023. The subtotals for stock shares is drastically off for some of my stock quantities in the portfolio value report when you select do not subtotal in the report. If you select subtotal for account it does list the correct share totals. This occurs for same stocks listed in multiple accounts with apparent stock splits also entered.

[Merged Post]

• hmorton71
    hmorton71 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

ADDED COMMENT: I do have the updated newest release of windows quicken classic premier update as of Dec 18, 2023 on subscription automatic. The subtotals for stock shares is drastically off for some of my stock quantities in the portfolio value report when you select do not subtotal in the report. If you select subtotal by account in the report, it does list the correct share totals. This occurs for some stocks listed in multiple accounts with apparent stock splits also entered. Quicken please correct the problem for this popular report request.

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

Updating to R53.26 should correct the issue. Could you please confirm if the issue is resolved?

@hmorton71,

Which version of Quicken are you using? You can check by going to Help>About Quicken. If you're not using R53.26, please try updating to R53.26 and see if the issue persists. You can use this link to download the updated patch.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• rxrodrigues
    rxrodrigues Member ✭✭
    Options

Even with the now latest December Patch R53.32 (released 12/21/2023) this issue I had earlier reported and again re-illustrated by @Tom-R on Dec 11 is still occurring. I am back on the Nov R53.16 release until this issue gets fixed.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @rxrodrigues,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

It has already been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Thank you!

(CTP-8498)

Quicken Kristina

• bwh51
    bwh51 Member ✭✭
    Options

I installed R53.32 and it still has the problem of showing closed transactions in the Portfolio Value report. It even shows transactions that were closed over 20 years ago. This is a major annoyance since I use the export to feed into a database. When I revert to the October release it works correctly. My guess is that the bug was introduced with the "Lifetime Value" report.

• TommyN
    TommyN Member
    Options

Just reporting that I have the same issue as bwh51. Lots of old holdings with a line for both a positive and a negative share amount that should cancel out in the Portfolio Report.

This discussion has been closed.