Are there seriously no graphs or charts for Quicken Classic on Mac?

Options
josh_30_day_trial
josh_30_day_trial Member
edited January 21 in Reports (Mac)

This is such an incredibly fundamental feature for a budgeting software. How does it not exist? How was it not the second feature added after 'importing transactions from financial institutions'?

Am I just missing it and it's there? This is so mind boggling - and after I spent at least 10 hours importing data, merging categories, etc.

Please advise.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

There are a number of charts in Quicken Classic Mac. They may not be in all the places you want/need/expect, but there are a graphs and charts…

• Home > Dashboard has four of them: a bar graph for Income & Expense, a line graph for Net Income, a pie chart of Spending by Category, and a bar chart for Top Spending Payees
    • Investing > Dashboard has two pie charts for Asset Allocation and Allocation by Security
    • Investing > Portfolio has a line graph for Portfolio Value over time, for one or multiple accounts
    • Account registers have pie charts on the Spending and Income tabs
    • Bills & Income has a line graph for Projected Balances

There might be one or two more I'm forgetting about at the moment. (There's a bar chart in the deprecated Spending Over Time report which is likely to be removed from the program.)

What there is not is the ability to create your own charts/graphs like you can create custom reports. I personally don't need to chart my income and expenses, because I'm happy tooking at a table of numbers, but I understand some users love 'em and want 'em. The good news on that front is that a long-running feature request for custom charts has been marked as "Planned" for future release by the developers:

And some users have requested more advanced forms of graphs, which you can add your vote for if this description fits your needs:

Finally, I'd note that you said that "this is such an incredibly fundamental feature for a budgeting software." Well, Quicken isn't specifically budgeting software; it's personal finance software which, among many other things, lets you create and track your income and expenses versus a budget. We all use Quicken differently and want different things from it. I can list a few dozen features I think are more important in my use of Quicken than charts and graphs; I'm not saying you're wrong to want them, just that users have many different feature wishes for the program. And the reality is that the code for Quicken is very complex, and the Mac development team is quite small, so that adding features is a slow process. The developers do listen, and they are making progress, but it's slow progress.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

There are a number of charts in Quicken Classic Mac. They may not be in all the places you want/need/expect, but there are a graphs and charts…

• Home > Dashboard has four of them: a bar graph for Income & Expense, a line graph for Net Income, a pie chart of Spending by Category, and a bar chart for Top Spending Payees
    • Investing > Dashboard has two pie charts for Asset Allocation and Allocation by Security
    • Investing > Portfolio has a line graph for Portfolio Value over time, for one or multiple accounts
    • Account registers have pie charts on the Spending and Income tabs
    • Bills & Income has a line graph for Projected Balances

There might be one or two more I'm forgetting about at the moment. (There's a bar chart in the deprecated Spending Over Time report which is likely to be removed from the program.)

What there is not is the ability to create your own charts/graphs like you can create custom reports. I personally don't need to chart my income and expenses, because I'm happy tooking at a table of numbers, but I understand some users love 'em and want 'em. The good news on that front is that a long-running feature request for custom charts has been marked as "Planned" for future release by the developers:

And some users have requested more advanced forms of graphs, which you can add your vote for if this description fits your needs:

Finally, I'd note that you said that "this is such an incredibly fundamental feature for a budgeting software." Well, Quicken isn't specifically budgeting software; it's personal finance software which, among many other things, lets you create and track your income and expenses versus a budget. We all use Quicken differently and want different things from it. I can list a few dozen features I think are more important in my use of Quicken than charts and graphs; I'm not saying you're wrong to want them, just that users have many different feature wishes for the program. And the reality is that the code for Quicken is very complex, and the Mac development team is quite small, so that adding features is a slow process. The developers do listen, and they are making progress, but it's slow progress.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.