Changing Account Info (Q Mac)

Options

So I screwed up a little when I started an account. It's currently set to a cash account, but really should be in a Savings account. I'd hate to have to re-input or change things transaction by transaction. Is there a way to move the account as a whole from its current Cash account to a Savings account?

I use quicken primarily as a ledger and to create reports. There's nothing actually linked to a bank account or credit card.

Anyone? Thanks.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Is there a way to move the account as a whole from its current Cash account to a Savings account?

Yes!

1. Create a new Savings account
    2. Click on the Cash account
    3. Click on a transaction, then Select All (Command-A) transactions
    4. Click on a transaction and drag all the highlighted transactions to the Savings account
    5. Verify that the Cash account is now empty, then delete it (Control-click the account in the sidebar, and select Delete)

Done!

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2023
    Options

Actually, there's an even easier way - right click on the cash account in the account sidebar, select Account Settings, and click on the Type pulldown to change it from Cash to Savings.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Actually, there's an even easier way

Ah, knowing that Quicken doesn't allow some account types to be changed to other account types, I assumed the question was asked because it wouldn't allow a Cash account to be changed to a Savings account. Thus my answer… and my lack of trying it before providing a work-around solution. Oops! Thanks for pointing out the simple solution, @Jon.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I haven't exhaustively tested this, but it seems to me the dividing line is between Investing accounts & everything else. Any Investing account can be turned into any other Investing type account, and any non-Investing account can be converted to any other non-Investing type account, but you can't convert Investing accounts into non-Investing accounts or vice versa.

(Loans are a special case but they can be converted to Liability accounts & from there to any other non-Investing type account; likewise any non-Investing account can be converted to a Liability & then back into a Loan.)

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• drew b doo
    Options

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.