Changing Account Info (Q Mac)

Options

So I screwed up a little when I started an account. It's currently set to a cash account, but really should be in a Savings account. I'd hate to have to re-input or change things transaction by transaction. Is there a way to move the account as a whole from its current Cash account to a Savings account?

I use quicken primarily as a ledger and to create reports. There's nothing actually linked to a bank account or credit card.

Anyone? Thanks.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Is there a way to move the account as a whole from its current Cash account to a Savings account?

Yes!

1. Create a new Savings account
    2. Click on the Cash account
    3. Click on a transaction, then Select All (Command-A) transactions
    4. Click on a transaction and drag all the highlighted transactions to the Savings account
    5. Verify that the Cash account is now empty, then delete it (Control-click the account in the sidebar, and select Delete)

Done!

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2023
    Options

Actually, there's an even easier way - right click on the cash account in the account sidebar, select Account Settings, and click on the Type pulldown to change it from Cash to Savings.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Actually, there's an even easier way

Ah, knowing that Quicken doesn't allow some account types to be changed to other account types, I assumed the question was asked because it wouldn't allow a Cash account to be changed to a Savings account. Thus my answer… and my lack of trying it before providing a work-around solution. Oops! Thanks for pointing out the simple solution, @Jon.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I haven't exhaustively tested this, but it seems to me the dividing line is between Investing accounts & everything else. Any Investing account can be turned into any other Investing type account, and any non-Investing account can be converted to any other non-Investing type account, but you can't convert Investing accounts into non-Investing accounts or vice versa.

(Loans are a special case but they can be converted to Liability accounts & from there to any other non-Investing type account; likewise any non-Investing account can be converted to a Liability & then back into a Loan.)

• drew b doo
    Options

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.