New Investment Account Only Reports Cash

Options
SMBMD
SMBMD Member
edited January 30 in Investing (Windows)

I used Quicken Windows Classic to setup a new mutual fund account. I transferred cash into the new account, and the update correctly reported the purchase of shares. However, Quicken now only reports the cash balance in the account - zero - and there is no record in holdings or anywhere else of the shares themselves.

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is possible your current holdings have been zeroed out by a hidden Placeholder. This might have been created if you downloaded transactions before the purchase was complete.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Investing and make sure Show hidden transactions is checked. That should expose any hidden Placeholders.

Does that explain it?

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure I'm following along with you here, but check the Account Details and see if the Account has been flipped to "Simple" investing.

• SMBMD
    SMBMD Member
    Options

Thanks, Tom, for responding so quickly. The account is set up as a brokerage account, and it's been marked "Complete" since setup. In the detail it's reporting only the cash transferred and then the Purchase transaction. However, while my other investment accounts report the total holdings, including share and cash, for this account, only the cash balance - zero - shows in the account summary.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is possible your current holdings have been zeroed out by a hidden Placeholder. This might have been created if you downloaded transactions before the purchase was complete.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Investing and make sure Show hidden transactions is checked. That should expose any hidden Placeholders.

Does that explain it?

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don’t know where you are seeing that info (or actually not seeing it). If it is a portfolio view, make sure that specific “Show” is customized to include both the account and the security.

• SMBMD
    SMBMD Member
    Options

Thanks, Jurker. From both the account list on my home screen and the porfolio view under Investing.

• SMBMD
    SMBMD Member
    Options

Thanks, Jim, that was it. For whatever reason, Quicken created two hidden placeholder transactions that had the effect of zeroing out my holding. Now that those two transactions are history, everything is reporting correctly. Best wishes for a very happy and healthy New Year.

This discussion has been closed.