Morgan Stanley Transactions Not Downloading

Options

Hi All. Looking for some guidance.

I noticed this evening that transactions in my accounts at Morgan Stanley have not been downloading into Quicken since December 22. I do not get any error message. In fact, Quicken says it has downloaded transactions for the past xxx days for each account. I have tried deactivating and then adding the accounts multiple times. My permissions for third party user access is properly set at Morgan Stanley. Any suggestions on what to do? Any current known issues like this with Morgan Stanley (I did not transfer accounts from E*Trade)?

Thanks.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @jemakat,

To assist with this issue, would you please provide more information? What kind of account(s) is it that's no longer downloading? Which connection with Morgan Stanley are you using?

What is happening when you try to add/update the account(s)? Have you checked to make sure you have Complete selected for the tracking method (if it gives you the option)? You can see which tracking method is selected by going to Tools>Account List and clicking the Edit button next to the account.

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• HandlebarredHealer
    Options

Hi Jemakat. I was getting ready to post something on this topic and fortunately found your thread. I use Quicken Classic Home and Business (Windows version)…

Firstly :( I have no solution, but will offer details on may issue which may be related….

My situation is that I am trying to ADD my new Morgan Stanley (MoS) accounts. I get an error (right side of screenshot below - "Error?") simply by choosing "Morgan Stanley Wealth Management" as my institution - before I even enter a username or password. (Third-party is turned on at MoS already.)

From what I have been told from MoS, they support Direct Connect Only, not Express Web Connect.

So I added an account manually, then set the online account settings to "Simple"- Positions Only" hoping that would force Quicken to use Direct Connect… Same problem happened.

Finally after a couple of days of chat sessions with Quicken, I called this morning for more help and was told that "Quicken doesn't support MoS. If that's so, it's a deal-breaker for me and will have choose another accounting program. But I find it hard to believe that Quicken doesn't allow imports from MoS. ALSO, the tech people at MoS said that to connect to them for data sharing, they need a username, password, AND the SSN (or the last 4 of the SSN I don't recall…) I never get to a Quicken screen to enter SSN information…

I am hoping/thinking that this has to be some sort of temporary technical problem that will hopefully be resolve soon…

As an aside, do you use Quicken to track your portfolio also? MoS's website only shows me my status, never anything that I can track over time (graphs, etc.)

Hopefully this might shed some light on both cases :)

• HandlebarredHealer
    Options

Also… the URL shown in Quicken (www.morganstanley.com) is not the the URL for client accounts. Their client account website is

login(dot)morganstanleyclientserv(dot)com

and the phone number that the Quicken screen shows for MoS is "no longer in service".

I guessing that it's possible that any user of Quicken will be having these problems…

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@HandlebarredHealer

I get an error (right side of screenshot below - "Error?") simply by choosing "Morgan Stanley Wealth Management" as my institution - before I even enter a username or password. (Third-party is turned on at MoS already.)

That's not an error. It's just a message telling you what to do if you do encounter an error. Ignore it if you don't get an actual error message.

I have been downloading from MSWM for many years. Whoever told you Quicken doesn't support MSWM was wrong. I get occasional download errors but it works at least 80% of the time. When a download occasionally fails, an immediate retry almost always succeeds.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• HandlebarredHealer
    Options

Thanks for the help, @Rocket J Squirrel. I found it hard to believe that Quicken couldn't link to MSWM. Even though I got that initial message, I keep trying and eventually get the actual message that says "It's not your fault.", etc. offering me to enter my accounts manually. I have tried to add these accounts online probably 20 times over the past several days and still no luck. And the OP mentioned that they can't can't recent updates as well, so I think that there is still something wrong on the Quicken side.

Quicken says that they are connecting to a URL that is different from the account URL, and I found this article which might be helpful…

https://www.quicken.com/support/mac/quicken-uses-incorrect-url-online-banking

Are your existing accounts still updating OK, or are you having issues like the OP since December ?

Thanks very much.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

You made me look, and sure enough, some transactions did not download into Quicken. Some did and there's no obvious pattern to suggest what's going wrong with the ones that don't. For example, I wrote some checks out of one account and one check shows cleared on 1/26/24 on the MSWM site but has not downloaded into Quicken as of 1/29/24. But another check written the same day has downloaded.

I deactivated and reactivated my MSWM accounts but did not get any more transactions. So indeed, something is wrong.

I would not worry about URLs. What Quicken presents to the user is not necessarily where it goes to get account info.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• HandlebarredHealer
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel Thanks so much for following up! I was going to contact MSWM about the URL, but I guess will pass on that since it is sort of still working for you.

I've been on and off Quicken since the days of Shareware (old enough to remember 8" floppy disks), and it has always been a good product. Hopefully someone from Quicken will jump in and get this moved to the top of the "glitch list".

It seems like Quicken will be the easiest way to track my investments at MSWM since their site just gives me my current status… (Unless you have a recommendation for tracking…)

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

It's best if you do "Report a Problem" in Quicken and include log files in the report. I'm going to do that now.

MSWM sends me quarterly documents like "LifeView Update Report" and "Goals Planning Report" but they're not terribly useful. Quicken is better at detailed tracking.

• HandlebarredHealer
    Options

Yep, thanks very much. That's what I did a couple of times when I was on CHAT with representatives. Hopefully if they get enough feedback on this, they may take a closer look and get it moved up the chain.

Yes, I am hoping that once the accounts link that Quicken will help me with tracking as well.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with the log files attached and the following information:

1. Examples of transactions that are posted on the financial institution, but have not downloaded into your Quicken
    2. A screenshot of those transactions on the Financial Institution website
    3. A screenshot of the account in Quicken, showing that those transactions are not there
    4. The names of the accounts as they show on the Financial Institution side and in your Quicken.
    5. The last 4 digits of the account number for accounts affected by this issue
    6. If you are willing, a sanitized copy of your data file

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

@HandlebarredHealer,

Since you mentioned you chatted with Support about this issue, I looked up those interactions. I can see that they recommended you reach out to your financial institution for assistance getting your account(s) connected in Quicken. Did you have a chance to reach out to the financial institution? Some financial institutions do require additional authorization through their website before you'll be able to successfully connect to Quicken.

Also, just to clarify, the representative that told you Quicken does not support MoS was speaking specifically about Web Connect. Direct Connect should be supported.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

Quicken Kristina

• HandlebarredHealer
    Options

@Quicken Kristina Yes I spoke to my financial institution. They said that sometimes a SSN (or part of of it might) be required, but I just signed up for a service that links to them and all I needed was username and password. They looked through some of their tech support documents and said that Quicken should connect fine and tried to walk me through the issue as well.

And yes, I was told bu your support that "Direct Connect" was the only method supported by my financial institution. Once Quicken fixes the issue, will it know to try Direct Connect instead of Express Web Connect, or do I have to tell it to use Direct Connect somehow?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

I wrote

I wrote some checks out of one account and one check shows cleared on 1/26/24 on the MSWM site but has not downloaded into Quicken as of
    1/29/24. But another check written the same day has downloaded.

The second check downloaded today. Better late than never. I wonder whether someone at MSWM or Quicken did anything to make this happen.

• HandlebarredHealer
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel maybe they are working on it, but I still can't connect…

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply @HandlebarredHealer,

Since Direct Connect is the only option, it should default to that when you are going through the Add Account process.

Does Morgan Stanley have some sort of third party data sharing option on their website? I noticed in the screenshot you posted earlier, there are directions to go to the Security center on Morgan Stanley's website and turn on third party data sharing if you are encountering an error when trying to connect the account in your Quicken.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• HandlebarredHealer
    Options

@Quicken Kristina Yes, I have third-party data sharing enabled.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

If you haven't done so already, I would recommend turning the third-party sharing for Quicken off, then set it up again, and test to see if you're able to get connected. Sometimes the problem you're encountering can be caused by an old/expired authorization.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• HandlebarredHealer
    Options

Yes @Quicken Kristina I have disabled thrid-party sharing and then re-enabled it. Quicken will still not connect…

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @HandlebarredHealer,

I sent you a direct message. Please check your inbox by clicking the envelope icon near the upper right.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.