Subscription Question

Options

If I'm doing all of my transactions manually, why do I need a subscription? Will I still receive program updates if I cancel my subscription?

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You will lose a large chunk of your screen with a plea to re-subscribe and you will not receive updates.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Specifically, you'll lose about 25% to 33% of your Q screen to the re-subscribe nag.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• RichardCSchreyer
    RichardCSchreyer Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I personally post transactions manually to ensure accuracy of categorization , avoid all the stress currently ongoing with the migration to ewc and ewc+ connections, and gain additional awareness of my monetary transactions vs just dumping them into registers. What Quicken offers me with my deluxe subscription for $5/month is a budget tracking and financial reporting system that would require tremendous effort to replicate in manual excel spreadsheets. I am betting that within 12-24 months the dust will settle and they will once again have a stable product. But, I also have the luxury of being retired and having the time to keep up with maintaining transactions…I think of it as less than the cost of a Starbucks Venti latte and something to do before my nap each day.

• Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you could close that nag screen that would sorta defeat Quicken's purpose to get you to re-subscribe. As far as I know it's permanent.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Tau-Lepton said:

Pay whatever you have to and get the 2017 version.

Won't work. About a year ago they changed something on the Quicken server and Quicken 2014 thru 2017 can no longer log in to the Quicken Id, which is needed to register on a new machine. There is this workaround that works for some people and some not, but most likely will never work for a "new user" of Quicken 2017. Take this also as a warning to save your Quicken.ini file if you have a working Quicken 2017.

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/blanklogin2014-2017.html

Personally, my recommendation for anyone that only does manual entry would be to use Quicken 2013, this is the last truly offline version of Quicken.

If you can't get past the problems with using Quicken 2014 thru 2027 or an older version of Quicken Subscription your best in my opinion would be to sign up/renew your Quicken Subscription and then try to move your data back to Quicken 2013 Deluxe US (sorry Canadian users don't have a free version, or people that need more than Deluxe) using a QIF export/import using this information:

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    Options

You will lose a large chunk of your screen with a plea to re-subscribe and you will not receive updates.

• brottj
    brottj Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your helpful response. Guess I'll keep my subscription.

Happy New Year!

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Specifically, you'll lose about 25% to 33% of your Q screen to the re-subscribe nag.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• RichardCSchreyer
    RichardCSchreyer Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I personally post transactions manually to ensure accuracy of categorization , avoid all the stress currently ongoing with the migration to ewc and ewc+ connections, and gain additional awareness of my monetary transactions vs just dumping them into registers. What Quicken offers me with my deluxe subscription for $5/month is a budget tracking and financial reporting system that would require tremendous effort to replicate in manual excel spreadsheets. I am betting that within 12-24 months the dust will settle and they will once again have a stable product. But, I also have the luxury of being retired and having the time to keep up with maintaining transactions…I think of it as less than the cost of a Starbucks Venti latte and something to do before my nap each day.

• brottj
    brottj Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you, Richard. You seem to use Quicken like I do. I've been using Quicken since the early 1990s.

• Rafisher110
    Rafisher110 Member
    Options

Can that screen that nags you to renew be closed? Or is it permanent?

• Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you could close that nag screen that would sorta defeat Quicken's purpose to get you to re-subscribe. As far as I know it's permanent.

• Rafisher110
    Rafisher110 Member
    Options

Hmm, I use other software that starts with a nag screen asking me to renew or update to a new version, etc and I can close the window so that I can continue to use the product. This behavior of Quicken is rather disappointing and making me reconsider using it.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

it's not so much a "screen" - but rather a banner pasted over your existing Quicken screen -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@RichardCSchreyer -
    . I am betting that within 12-24 months the dust will settle and they will once again have a stable product. 

Quicken is a fragile and evolving software product - and relies on lots of moving parts with regard to downloading transactions.
    Because of this, and the evolving software - it will never be completely "stable" and remains somewhat fragile with each release.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21
    Options

Sounds like something different. Maybe this one?

If it is this one notice the "Remind me later" checkbox. If I remember correctly this will eventually come up again, but it does "delay it". Deselect it and select the X to close the dialog.

These are the areas that are taken up by the ads to renew.

Signature:
  • Tau-Lepton
    Tau-Lepton Member
    Options

My first years with quicken was when it was a DOS checkbook. Loved it. Also used 'Managing your money' back then. Bought quicken 2014 or so and it was maddening and could not trust it. Donation to Good Shepherd categorized as dog food. Two transactions of the same amount gave it trouble. Could not trust it.

Thank goodness for the change to the subscription model!. It was failing on auto-download of transactions. I had to put everything in manually. Now it is perfect to the cent at all times! Pay whatever you have to and get the 2017 version. Greatest program ever. Posting this to beg them to develop a parallel product that is not subscription. Just let me buy it. 😎

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Tau-Lepton said:

Pay whatever you have to and get the 2017 version.

Won't work. About a year ago they changed something on the Quicken server and Quicken 2014 thru 2017 can no longer log in to the Quicken Id, which is needed to register on a new machine. There is this workaround that works for some people and some not, but most likely will never work for a "new user" of Quicken 2017. Take this also as a warning to save your Quicken.ini file if you have a working Quicken 2017.

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/blanklogin2014-2017.html

Personally, my recommendation for anyone that only does manual entry would be to use Quicken 2013, this is the last truly offline version of Quicken.

If you can't get past the problems with using Quicken 2014 thru 2027 or an older version of Quicken Subscription your best in my opinion would be to sign up/renew your Quicken Subscription and then try to move your data back to Quicken 2013 Deluxe US (sorry Canadian users don't have a free version, or people that need more than Deluxe) using a QIF export/import using this information:

https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.