Suggestions for capturing screen recordings, in Windows 10?

Options
EmKay
EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭

I just had something REALLY flaky happen, when using Quicken, and I'd love to be able to capture a screen recording of the events (like I can on my iPhone). Windows 10 has a "gaming" feature that lets you do some recording - but it doesn't record Quicken's pop-up windows, at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a free, preferably "light" (memory usage) utility that can do this?

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

Answers

• Jayeffel
    Jayeffel Member ✭✭
    Options

Can you use your iPhone to take that picture?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Take a look at Greenshot. It can capture transient objects like pop-up menus and has lots of nice features.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@EmKay Can you describe what happened? What you were doing at the time?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, my memory is bad enough that, by the time I came back here to check for suggestions, I forgot what Quicken did. I just want to have something on-hand to record in the future because this is not the first time I've wanted to capture "something flaky!"

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does Greenshot capture video, though, or just static screenshots?

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4
    Options

I suppose I could. Was looking for something a little more … elegant, but this may end up being my best/only option!

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ever since day 1 of IBM PCs there has been the "Shift+PrtScreen" keystroke to take an image of the screen to the Copy/Paste buffer. To save the image open MS Paint and Paste the image from the buffer.

Here's an alternative to Shift+PrtScrn capture of images:

Press Win key + PrtScrn. Doing so will take a screenshot of the current screen including popups and save it to a file; in most cases, you'll see the screen dim briefly. You'll find the screenshot in your \Pictures\Screenshots folder. Each screenshot that you take will be labeled "Screenshot (number)" to correspond with the order in which the screenshots were taken.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For what it is worth, you might have to actually use something like a phone to capture some strange behavior. I remember trying to capture something strange in a video capture program and it never saw it. The truth is that your screen isn't a "video/streaming", it is a lot of individual API calls, and as such there are things that might be displayed on it that won't be picked up by a program trying to record it.

As for screenshots, I'm lazy to install any extra programs, and as such I just use what is built-in to Windows 11. Basically, the Snipping tool and just the PrtSc button. I have the snipping tool as one of the icons I keep in the system tool bar because I use it so much, but it has one failing. And that is if you say a popup that will go away when the focus goes to another application it really isn't going to work well for that. There is a timer function, but what I do instead is just hit the PrtSc button and that freezes the screen and then I can draw a box around what I want to grab. From there is one click in the notification that come up to transfer it to the snipping tool.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • MHSwizzleStick
    MHSwizzleStick Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Snipping tool will not clear a popup if you launch it by clicking WindowsKey+Shift+S on the keyboard.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's interesting, because I saw your comment and said, oh yeah, I remember seeing that at one time.

Then I just tried it, and what it did is the same as hitting the PrtSc button. It no longer directly opens to the snipping tool.

You select what you want and then get the notification:

If you click this notification then it will open the Snipping tool with it in it. Note that you can't just start the Snipping tool or have it running for this to happen. Note that the "saved" puts it in the Picture\Screenshot folder.

Signature:
  • martinstasik19
    Options

Thank you, can anybody help me?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

With what? You haven't posted any questions in this thread.

Better yet, since this question is only about how to record video and screenshots, you should either search for a discussion on whatever your problem is and post there, or post your own by selecting New Post from the top of the page.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.