Cannot log in - Please check internet connection

Options

I am using Quicken for Windows R53.52. I have trying to set up a new Online TD Ameritrade Roth Investing account. I get to the screen that shows the various institutions and when I select the relevant one I get the message "Quicken is having trouble loading the page. Please click reload to try again". Nothing worked over a 2-day period. I found the same message even if I tried setting up a random bank like Chase, Ally, Citi etc.

My existing TDA Brokerage account works fine.

I then went to Edit/Preferences/Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts and signed out. I thought that Quicken is not recognizing me and I would try and log in again.

Now things turned terrible when I tried to sign back in. I got to Quicken and then File/Open Quicken File and pick a backed up file, and entered my password. The file opens and I see the normal Quicken home screen with all my accounts, but in a couple of seconds it shuts down with the message "Please check internet connection and try again". My connection is fine and I am connected, even as I am writing this. The backed up file was on the cloud/OneDrive. I made a copy to my C: drive and tried again. Still the same issue.

I called Quicken Support, listened to their recorded messages for 45 minutes, then silence for another 20 minutes and gave up. I tried again and waited for 50 minutes and gave up.

Desperate for help!

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you are getting "Oops, something went wrong" or "Check Internet Connection" …

• Your browser must allow popups from https://www.quicken.com for chat/phone support selections to function. See https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7870684/faq-talk-to-support-does-not-respond#latest
    • To make sure that Quicken is allowed to update and save its configuration files please check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
      If it is, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in
    • Have you recently enabled a VPN?
      If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off, reboot with VPN disabled and see if that helps.
    • Is there a corporate or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    • If you're running Quicken and Windows under a VM, ensure that the VM does not block any incoming or outgoing IP ports.
    • Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the Internet?
      Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the program to work.
      For example, in McAfee Firewall, one user states "By editing the Quicken Firewall entry Selecting Incoming and Outgoing, and changing it from "Default" to "Open to all devices" it now works without having to turn off the entire firewall!"
      See Check your firewall settings and ensure the following three entries are present:
      If necessary, contact the Antivirus / Firewall vendor's Support Center for assistance.
    • In Windows 11 or older Windows systems go to Windows Control Panel and select Internet Options (or in Internet Explorer, click on Tools / Internet options.)
      Click the Advanced tab.
      Scroll down the list to "Use TLS 1.x" and click to put checkmarks on all available choices even though some of them are no longer supported: "Use TLS 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 (if available)"
      Turn off "Use SSL 3.0"
      Click Apply. Reboot.
    • If all else fails: Try rebooting your network router. When done reboot your PC

• kashg
    kashg Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks UKR.

Here is status update.

I spoke to Tech Support this morning and spent 2 hours 45 minutes with Noe. He had me uninstall Q, reinstall it, delete everything Q related, do the process again even trying separate installs in C:Program Files and C: Program Files (x86). Nothing worked. I set up a separate User for Windows and installed Q under that name. No luck. I tried wireless connection instead of my direct connection too. During the process Noe separately communicated at various times with his Tech team who kept feeding ideas of things to try. All unsuccessful.

I had to end the call for personal reasons and Noe promised to call me back 4 hours later.

A few hours later, I decided on a Safe Mode Windows start, and voila Q worked. I then rebooted my computer in Normal mode and Q worked again. Did the reboot twice and it is still working. So, I have no idea of what is going on, but at least Q is working.

Noe is supposed to call me in another 15 minutes. So lets see what he has to say.

• kashg
    kashg Member ✭✭
    Options

Had to speak with Noe's supervisor and went through everything again. They could find no solution.

This discussion has been closed.