Windows 11, Quicken Classic Deluxe last 2023 File lost

Options
jdmoney
jdmoney Member ✭✭

Opened last Quicken file dated 12/28/2023 today 1/3/2024.

The file opened but had no banking data for 2023. On closing Quicken, the file was saved with no banking info.

Tried opening 2023 file from previous backup, but end up without banking data.

The cloud didn't help, but my original 2023 file appears to be totally lost,

Any way to get it back or found?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried a Windows search for any file ending in .QDF

Did you, in the file that you opened, try clicking RESET at the top of the register?

You say "banking data" … does that mean checking only, or what?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

File → Find Quicken Data Files, might help finding a missing data file too.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jdmoney
    jdmoney Member ✭✭
    Options

Fixed the "problem." I make a new Quicken file for each year. Quicken has changed, that I think was new, the "filters" to include the dates to be viewed. So, opening my 2023 file, the filter, which I never had to deal with in the past, was set at "This Year." So, opening my 2023 file in 2024, thus showed no Banking checking and credit card data.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Exactly. That always confuses people when the new year starts. I called up a report and all my entries were missing. I freaked out for a minute until I realized the report was for year to date and it is a new year. Had to change the report to Last year to get my tax info

You make a new file each year? You shouldn't be doing that. It's better to leave all your data and history together in one file and it should not affect performance. Sometime in the future we guarantee you will want to see something and you won't be able to merge them back together. You can run reports for any time period. Just copy your whole file for a backup (which you should be doing regularly anyway) and continue on in your current file. Too many times people ask for help on how to re-merge their data, which can't be done. Also any uncleared checks will then show up in both files. So just continue on. And if you upgrade to a newer version in the future you will have to remember to convert all your old files too.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jdmoney
    jdmoney Member ✭✭
    Options

My quicken files go back to 1996. The filter option only covers for this year and last year. Are you telling me I won't be able to view my older files now?

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are the years in different files? You can open the older files. I think you should have more filter settings. Try clicking reset filters. Are you opening a single account register? If you click on all transactions at the top of the account bar it might be limited.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Opening old data files is getting more and more dangerous.

Anyone that has opened a really old data file probably had to deal with the fact that the reminders aren't turned off, and that Quicken will try to update them immediately when you open the data file.

Then in the last couple of years they have changed Quicken's Restore so that it does some kind of sync with the Quicken Cloud data set (this is even if you have Sync to Mobile/Web off, because now Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect + use the same sync process). Even Quicken Inc flags this as dangerous by warning people not to do it too often because each time it runs it creates a new Quicken Cloud dataset and there is a limited amount of them. But what they don't warn about is that it seems that the sync can go from the Quicken Cloud dataset to the Quicken Desktop data file and in some cases not be able to sync properly, corrupting things. Bottom line is the farther back you go the more risk.

And then there is just opening an old data file. That data file has the same file unique Id as your current data file. This unique Id is used to decide on what Quicken Cloud dataset to connect to. Clearly you will be connecting the same one. You should never do any kind of online activity with the data file if you are only going to just look at it. If you intend to use it to restore from that point and go on, then you should use another data file with Sync to Mobile/Web on to delete the Quicken Cloud dataset before opening the old data file.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Anyone that has opened a really old data file probably had to deal with the fact that the reminders aren't turned off, and that Quicken will try to update them immediately when you open the data file.

Indeed. Everyone should go and vote for this idea. That's at least one thing they could fix in the restore process.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.