use qck2017 for windows at home. use a MacBook 2018 for travel. compatibility issue

Options
bob96808
bob96808 Member

use quicken 2017 for Windows at home. Just inherited a MacBook 2018 which i plan to use for future travel only (my Windows Surface aged-out). From what i read there is N0 backup/restore compatibility between the 2 platforms (Windows & Mac)? That is, i could not continue to update records while traveling and then expect to seamlessly Restore them to Windows version once home. Correct???

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Correct. QWin and QMac are actually totally different programs and the data files are not interchangeable. Nor can data be simply transferred back and forth between them. You'll need to decide which you will use and stick with that.

That being said, an option you might want to consider is to download and install a VM software like Parallels on your Mac. Then you could run QWin on your Mac.

A word of caution: QWin 2017 is no longer supported by Quicken. And there is an issue when trying to do anew install (or reinstall) of QWin 2014-QWin 2017. In most cases, the installation will work but it will not initialize because the Quicken.ini file is no longer compatible with the Quicken.com account.

If you go this route, do a search for the current Quicken.ini file on your Windows system (since it still lets you use QWin 2017) and copy/paste it somewhere where Quicken will not be able to access it but where you can later copy it from. After you install your QWin 2017 on your Mac, copy that Quicken.ini file over the one that Quicken created on your Mac. It sometimes (not always) has allowed Quicken to properly initialize.

In fact, I strongly suggest that you backup that Quicken.ini file even if you do not go the route of setting up QWin on your Mac. It is just a matter of time before your QWin 2017 will stop functioning. Having that backup of your Quicken.ini file might just help to get it functioning, again.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

QWin and QMac use entirely different file formats. There's no compatibility between the two.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Correct. QWin and QMac are actually totally different programs and the data files are not interchangeable. Nor can data be simply transferred back and forth between them. You'll need to decide which you will use and stick with that.

That being said, an option you might want to consider is to download and install a VM software like Parallels on your Mac. Then you could run QWin on your Mac.

A word of caution: QWin 2017 is no longer supported by Quicken. And there is an issue when trying to do anew install (or reinstall) of QWin 2014-QWin 2017. In most cases, the installation will work but it will not initialize because the Quicken.ini file is no longer compatible with the Quicken.com account.

If you go this route, do a search for the current Quicken.ini file on your Windows system (since it still lets you use QWin 2017) and copy/paste it somewhere where Quicken will not be able to access it but where you can later copy it from. After you install your QWin 2017 on your Mac, copy that Quicken.ini file over the one that Quicken created on your Mac. It sometimes (not always) has allowed Quicken to properly initialize.

In fact, I strongly suggest that you backup that Quicken.ini file even if you do not go the route of setting up QWin on your Mac. It is just a matter of time before your QWin 2017 will stop functioning. Having that backup of your Quicken.ini file might just help to get it functioning, again.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.