Limited Asset Classes & Goals! Lack of Customization.

Options
bmarin
bmarin Member ✭✭
edited February 8 in Reports (Windows)

30years of being a user with all financial data in Quicken I wish I could customize my investment goals and asset classes for portfolio rebalancing. Quicken limitations with asset classes are a joke. No mid cap, emerging markets, high yield bond, etc! I was preparing to turn off all downloading of asset classes and manually create/assign them % when I tried to create an asset class “Mid Cap Stocks”. I got an error saying it was already assigned in Quicken but I couldn’t find it anywhere to select and I know I didn’t create the asset class. It looks like they were going to have that class at some point but decided not?

I’m going to just export my data from a custom report and build a spreadsheet so I can analyze my portfolio holdings and compare to my goals.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have Premier or H&B, you may find the Investing > Portfolio X-Ray useful. For your publicly traded securities (not special 401(k) securities for example) it will show

• Overall asset allocation
    • Breakdown by world region
    • Stock breakdown by sector
    • Breakdown by Morningstar Stock and bond style boxes
    • Other stock and bond stats
    • Stock Intersection, which looks your individual stocks and the top 50 holdings in each fund and ETF to show your overall percentage of each stock.

Unfortunately this is view-only and cannot currently be printed. This has been reported as a bug, but has not been fixed.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7
    Options

when I tried to create an asset class “Mid Cap Stocks”. I got an error saying it was already assigned in Quicken but I couldn’t find it anywhere to select and I know I didn’t create the asset class. It looks like they were going to have that class at some point but decided not?

I tried this and got the same error. I changed it to Mid Cap Stock and it created that. So, yes it looks like they have created it somewhere internally, but not showing it on the list.

I think the biggest failing in this is that when they allowed for custom asset classes, they didn't complete the project and make the rebalancing part work with custom asset classes.

I too went to separate spreadsheet to handle this.

EDIT: Portfolio X-Ray doesn't cut it for "rebalancing", and frankly even if the one Quicken had "worked" it is pretty lame. Working in only percentages makes it a pain when trying actually do the rebalancing, which needs to be in "shares". But more to the point the X-Ray Portfolio doesn't know anything about some of my major securities, and as such isn't even useful for me in separating things out.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.