Connection to Betterment

Options
Allan L.
Allan L. Member ✭✭

Betterment is listed as an institution that connects with Quicken (Mac) through Quicken Connect. But when I try to set up the connection, my password is not recognized in the pass-through window. The password works for a direct log-in at Betterment, but not through the Quicken set-up routine. What is the problem here?

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Allan L.,

How long has this issue been occurring? Have you been able to connect to Betterment in the past? Are you receiving any error codes or messages?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Allan L.
    Allan L. Member ✭✭
    Options

I've never been successful connecting. The error I get is that the login and password are rejected, even though they are correct for direct login to Betterment. (I have changed the password to see if that would help; it didn't.)

• Jason Seemann
    Jason Seemann Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Allan I have the exact same problem. I'm waiting in support queue to see if they can help. In the meantime, I'm wondering if your Betterment account is created or tied to a 3rd party? For example mine was created as an HSA from OptumBank. I'm just speculating if there might be a correlation there somehow and would for some reason explain why our login(s) are failing. Will report back if I get a solution out of chat support

• Allan L.
    Allan L. Member ✭✭
    Options

No, mine is independently set up.

• Jason Seemann
    Jason Seemann Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks; my support case was escalated but there is no resolution yet.

• Learning as I Go
    Options

@Allen L @Jason Seemann

Are you logging in with your normal Betterment password or the app password? Betterment requires a specific app password for things like Quicken, Turbo Tax, etc. I had the same error as you did; when I set up the app password, that solved the problem.

You can set this up by logging into Betterment, going to Settings/Security/App Passwords. Use the app password created there to log into Quicken (with your normal log in name/user ID) and you should have no problem.

• Jason Seemann
    Jason Seemann Member ✭✭
    Options

@Learning as I Go Thank you so much that was the trick! I'll let support know when they contact me back on the escalated case; maybe they can get some wording added to the login screen to make that more apparent. TY!

This discussion has been closed.