How can I import transactions from Discover credit card?

Options
qu-punt
qu-punt Member

How can I import transactions from credit card that only allows download as Excel, pdf or csv format? Discover says that Quicken security is too weak.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10
    Options

"How can I import transactions from credit card that only allows download as Excel, pdf or csv format?"

I assume you're trying to download directly from Discover Card' web site and I expect that in the case the only options are Excel, PDF, or csv format:

Spreadsheet Users

You can download statements directly from Online Statements to
    your computer, then import them into a spreadsheet application (such as
    Excel) or other software. Just go to the statement or statements
    summary you wish to download and click the "Download Options" button.

But Discover Card also allows for downloads directly into Quicken using the Express Web Connect method; both my Discover Cards use that method and so I'd suggest you go to the Accounts "Online Services" tab in "Account Details" and set that up. The Discover Card rep you spoke to apparently didn't know this, and as far as their statement that "Quicken security is too weak" it's Discover Card that selects the downloading method in the first place. They've elected to use Express Web Connect as opposed to Direct Connect (which they use to offer) or Express Web Connect+, so that's on them.By the way, I just downloaded a csv file and was able to open it with Notepad. The information is sent entirely in the clear. At least Express Web Connect does do some encryption.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Download the .CSV file and use ImportQIF (free program from QuicknPerlWiz at https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/ ) to convert it to a .QIF file and trigger the import of that file.

It works great, I personally use it myself for my Discover Card and several others. The only downside is that Quicken changed how they handle .QIF file imports and the file is automatically imported without any chance of review by the user. Quicken also does not use Renaming Rules or duplicate prevention when importing a .QIF file.

BUT, ImportQIF does duplicate elimination based on the transactions that it has processed, so you have to be careful with the first import. It will also do renaming and category assignments based on Payee.

Chris_QPW does a great job of supporting it, just ask your questions on his website.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.