American Express download issue

Options

I have Quicken Classic and have not been able to automatically download anything from my American Express account since November. I talked to a Quicken representative, and he tried for 2 hours to get this to work. It is still not working. I have had Quicken since 1996, and whenever I have a problem it is always with American Express. It will work fine for months, then stop working for no apparent reason. I am now manually entering my American Express data since Quicken can not find a fix for the problem.

Best Answer

Answers

• tools
    tools Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same issue with my American Express account. Frustrating!

• BoMan
    BoMan Member
    Options

Now if we could only get Quicken to fix the issue, we would be in like Flint!

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, you can bookmark this Community Alert to get updates when available and to know when the issue is resolved. If you do not see the bookmark icon at the upper right, please make sure you are logged into the Community.

Thank you!

(Ticket #10595083)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• GreensboroAlan
    GreensboroAlan Member ✭✭
    Options

We are also longtime Quicken users (since 1997), and we are also having the issue.

American Express has indicated they have received many calls from Quicken (and Quickbooks) users on this same issue.

As a previous customer indicated, Quicken and QB seem to have an inordinate number of issues with American Express (connecting, downloading). This implies the need for a lot better pre-Release testing by Intuit.

For ongoing customer satisfaction (and retention!), it would be helpful in the future for Intuit to conduct much more pre-Release testing, and that testing needs to include actual users.

Thank you.

• kmrings
    kmrings Member
    Options

Same issue. found a lot of suggestions in another thread but nothing worked. I deactiveated my AmEx downloads and then tried to reactivate. I get this message:

From the other thread i gather this started on November 1 with an "update". This is now over two month later! Come on Quicken - you promised you would support Quicken Classic, but it doesn't look like it 😖😕

• ebschor
    ebschor Member ✭✭
    Options
  • jasonm47
    jasonm47 Member
    Options

My wife's new AmEx card is connected via Web Connect but can't get One Step Update to work. Every time I download transactions Quicken tells me there's a better way to do it and then won't connect. I've been using Quicken for at least 20 years. VERY FRUSTRATING. C'mon Quicken.

• Matthew Guerreiro
    Matthew Guerreiro Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Long time QW Windows user. I've been unable to setup download for either my own or my wife's American Express card accounts. I've tried multiple times over multiple days. I get the error message shown below:

• rham1e
    rham1e Member
    Options

Same issue here. I have 5 different accounts. I have deactivated all and reauthorized all of them. When i try to update the account, I get the update screen, it sits there for few minutes then just disapears. No errors reported and nothing downloads.

• Matthew Guerreiro
    Matthew Guerreiro Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I was finally able to get it to work. I had to deactivate all of my Amex accounts (2 users, 4 accts), checking to make sure that not only was online deactivated but that on the main account details page, any account numbers and the financial institution were blank. Then I rebooted Quicken and was able to connect successfully. I found some helpful info on the Amex page by searching for Quicken.

• Dadhumorr
    Dadhumorr Member
    Options

I'm still experiencing the same problem and Quicken hasn't fixed it yet. AmEx Technical Support was most prompt and helpful (unlike Quicken Support). They said that "American Express Card QBDT" needed to be added by Quicken to the list of connecting websites for Quicken downloads to be set up. Please Quicken do that NOW!

• Doug Rousso
    Doug Rousso Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I’m also in the same boat. Hasn’t worked since November of 2023. And still silence from Quicken! Maddening! Unacceptable!

• Dadhumorr
    Dadhumorr Member
    Options

Try this … it worked for me (after speaking with an apparently knowledgeable Quicken Support guy).

If any of one's accounts on Quicken become "disconnected" and will no longer download transactions for the financial institution, the fix is as follows:
    First, make a backup of your current Quicken File, then

Make sure all accounts with the financial institution (i.e. AmEx) involved are "disconnected".
    Use the "tools" pull down tab to click on "Add Account".
    Search for the institution (i.e AmEx) involved, highlight it and then click on "Next".
    Click on each of the (AmEx) accounts that appear that you want to connect
    Click on "Next" and in the next box that appears, Click on "Continue" and the download(s) will take place and added to those Quicken Account(s).

'hope it works for you.

• BoMan
    BoMan Member
    Options

To Dadhumorr…tried this, but still doesn't work. Thank goodness the American Express card is a secondary card for me. I have now gotten used to waiting for my most recent statement to come online, and I then manually enter the data into Quicken. I can download from all of my other institutions, but not American Express. Again, no one (Quicken or AmerEx) seem to be interested in doing anything about this.

I spent almost an hour on the phone with a Quicken rep who was walking me through a step by step procedure to try to make the download happen…did not work.

BoMan

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 28
    Options

@BoMan - what I have learned is that if you have issues with an account that uses EWC or EWC+, what might fix it is deactivating and reactivating ALL your accounts that have EWC or EWC+ not just the accounts at that FI.

• Dadhumorr
    Dadhumorr Member
    Options

'sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I was able to reconnect with my AmEx credit card accounts on Quicken for Windows (first ensuring that I was using the latest version of Quicken R54.16, Build 27.1.54.16). When I spoke with AmEx Tech support, I was told that Quicken needs to connect to the "American Express Card QBDT" server to connect for downloads. I don't know how to ensure my Quicken software is using that and Quicken Support didn't have an answer. Frustrating …

• Doug Rousso
    Doug Rousso Member ✭✭✭
    Options

wow. That would mean essentially disconnecting every FI. What a horrendous idea. But at this point I’m almost willing to try anything.

Although I tried a brand new quicken file and Amex still didn’t work. The note said to disconnect Amex accounts and then also go to Amex site and revoke permissions. I’m about to try that now

• Doug Rousso
    Doug Rousso Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • mhoshovsky
    mhoshovsky Member
    Options

For what it's worth… I also could not download AMEX transactions since the end of November 2023. The problem was related to our joint AMEX account (for my wife and me) being listed under her name and card as the primary account holder. I have my own card, but it is tied to the joint account. As of late November, something changed at Quicken, allowing transactions to be downloaded only under her AMEX login, not mine.

I set up a new Quicken account, but this time I did not use the default AMEX choice for my institution. Instead, I used the "American Express - Delegate" choice. I logged into AMEX using the same login/password I've been using for years, but this time the AMEX authorization process worked in Quicken. It created a new Quicken account for our joint AMEX card, downloading all the missing transactions back to December 1.

• Doug Rousso
    Doug Rousso Member ✭✭✭
    Options

worth a try. My wife and I also have a joint account but it’s under my login. Not hers. But I’m willing to try anything at this point. Quicken is a disaster now!

• Daniel Hoefflin
    Options

I'm amazed that Quicken doesn't resolve this known problem. I noticed that my personal account works with Amex, but a separate Business Account with Amex doesn't work. I also have spent hours with a Quicken support tech, and still the problem hasn't been resolved.

This is the first time Quicken has continuously failed to resolve a serious problem in a timely manner. Frankly, even though I've been a Quicken user for over 40 years, I'd switch to another provider if Quicken continues to fail in supporting essential services and I could find a reasonable alternative.

• hoomans
    hoomans Member ✭✭
    Options

Can anyone from Quicken comment on why this has not been resolved yet? Amex transaction just don't download anymore and there is no error.

• Doug Rousso
    Doug Rousso Member ✭✭✭
    Options

same boat. Months like this. And frankly I’m losing other download services for no reason and I have to reprovision those accounts too. Bank of America. Chase. Schwab And Barclays all had to be reset for no apparent reason. Amex. Still doesn’t work after reset and after following their tech note about visiting Amex site and revoking download first before setting up again.

Quicken has become the most unstable junk ever!

This discussion has been closed.