Schedule B export doesn't include dividends [FIXED]

Options
stewch9
stewch9 Member ✭✭
edited March 15 in Reports (Mac)

When I export Schedule B to a TXF, it includes only the Interest, not the Dividends in the report. I've tried various methods, including excluding the interest in the report, which produces an empty file. What am I missing?

I'm on Mac Premier Version 7.5.1 (Build 705.51946.100)

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Wow, I just tested this, and the .txf export appears to be completely broken! I don't use .txf exports for my taxes; I enter values in TurboTax directly from brokerage 1099s rather than what Quicken exports, so I don't typically look at the .txf exports.

For me, it exported interest income for one checking account, but that's all. It didn't include interest income from a brokerage account as well as not including regular and non-taxable dividend income — all of which appear in the Schedule B report and a .csv export of the report.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    edited January 19
    Options

I just tried the Tax Schedule report, which includes Schedule B data as well as other things. Here again, the report is fine, but the .txf export does not include dividend income or interest income from a brokerage account.

I have submitted this using the Help > Report a Problem function in Quicken, and suggest you do the same.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 19
    Options

I ran the report & exported it to a TXF. Comparing the two, all interest transactions were exported but only a few dividend transactions got exported; most dividends on the report did not make it into the TXF.

After comparing the report, the TXF, and the account registers I noticed something. It appears that all of the dividend transactions that showed up on both the report and the TXF export have a transaction Type of "Payment/Deposit" and a Category of "Personal Income: Dividend Income". The dividend transactions that are missing from the TXF all have a transaction Type of "Reinvest Dividend"; transactions of that type have no category.

So this would appear to be a simple difference in filtering between the report and the TXF export.

Submitted via Report A Problem with files attached.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    Options

I believe the problem is that the query for exporting dividend data is only looking in the table which contains banking transactions, and not the table which contains investing transactions. (Transactions of type Payment/Deposit are banking transactions.) It doesn't matter if the dividend transactions are reinvested or paid in cash — they don't appear because they are investing transactions.

I created a small test file with two accounts and a handful of transactions to illustrate what's wrong. the onscreen report, printed report and the CSV export are correct, but the TXF export is not.

The omission occurs in both the Schedule B report export and the Tax Schedule report export, which likely use the same query code.

It's worrisome because some users will look at the report onscreen, verify that everything is correct, and export the TXF file to import into their tax software or to give to their accountant without knowing it is under-reporting their income. Who would think to open the TXF export in a text editor and sift through it to see if it contains the same data as appeared onscreen?

I don't use the TXF exports, because I enter information from the 1099s I receive into my tax software, rather than what I can export from Quicken. I only dug into this because of the report from @stewch9 above.

Hopefully this gets through to the right people on the Mac team, and they can come up with a fix pretty quickly before people file their taxes with incorrect data.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited January 19
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-8773)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• stewch9
    stewch9 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you to both @jacobs and @Jon for confirming this glitch. Even if it were working correctly, I agree — never rely on these numbers for tax reporting. The 1099s are the definitive source. Could be useful for doing a rough estimate in early January.

I'll enter a problem report as well.

• jacobs
    Options

@stewch9 I’ve heard that a fix for this is expected to be released in the near future.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

7.5.2 is out today, the patch notes indicate that there's a fix for Schedule B TXF exports but I haven't tried it out.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• stewch9
    stewch9 Member ✭✭
    Options

Confirming yes, the export to TXF seems to be working now. As a test, I imported to TurboTax and the numbers matched up with those reported in QMac Report. Still wouldn't use them vs importing directly from brokerage. thx

This discussion has been closed.