How to Remove a Business Brokerage Account from a chart

Options
UserSinceDosVersion
UserSinceDosVersion Member ✭✭
edited March 9 in Reports (Windows)

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open investment dashboard with preexisting charts filtered by accounts.
  2. Add a new "Business Brokerage Account".
  3. Note automatic addition of this account to all charts.
  4. Attempt to customize charts to exclude this account.

Expected Behavior:
I expect to see the 'Business Brokerage Account' in the list of accounts when customizing charts, allowing me to include or exclude it as desired.

Actual Behavior:
The 'Business Brokerage Account' does not appear in the list of accounts for chart customization, preventing me from excluding it from the charts.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @UserSinceDosVersion,

To look into this issue further, could you please provide more information? Which charts are you trying to customize? Are you referring to the Portfolio Value card on the Dashboard, to specific reports, somewhere else? If you're seeing this behavior in reports, could you please specify which reports you're seeing this in?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

First I tested in R54.9

I didn't have any trouble excluding a newly created Business Investment account from the Investing > Dashboard cards.  I just chose "Custom" in the Accounts dropdown and unchecked the box for the account I wanted to exclude - the newly created Business Investment account was displayed there.

When I tested in R50.16, I did not see the newly added Business Investment account in the "Custom" choice in the Account dropdown - so I was unable to deselect it there.

But a workaround to remove the Business Investment account is to select a different account from the initial Account dropdown. That will cause that just selected account to be the ONLY account selected. From that point, you should be able to recreate the pre-existing account customization.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UserSinceDosVersion
    Options

Not sure if this matters… I am working with the Portfolio Value Graph By Account.

The workaround I used was to recreate the graphs.

Interestingly, now I have no way of creating a Portfolio Value Graph for the Investing Business account since it does not appear in the Account list.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Not sure if this matters. I am working with the Portfolio Value Graph By Account."

Your original post said step 1 was: 
    "Open investment dashboard with preexisting charts filtered by accounts.

I don't see a "Portfolio Value Graph By Account" at Investing > Portfolio > Dashboard. 

I see "Total Value", "Portfolio by Security", "Top Movers" and "Value over Time". But all of those widgets/cards are controlled by the same customizations.  Is one those what you're referring to?

There is a Home tab widget, "Portfolio Value Graph By Account", which can appear on any Home tab "View", and even multiple times on the same Home tab "View". Is that what you're referring to? That graph doesn't appear at Investing > Dashboard.

"The workaround I used was to recreate the graphs."

Quicken Home tab widgets have had problems "remembering" their customizations for years, and recreating them from scratch (deleting them from the Home tab View, adding them back, and re-Customizing them) has usually been the only way to correct them when they fail. I'm not sure how one "recreates" an Investing > Dashboard widget.

"Interestingly, now I have no way of creating a Portfolio Value Graph for the Investing Business account since it does not appear in the Account list."

I understood you to say in your original post that you wanted to remove the business investing account from the graph. Have you changed your mind?

That aside; as I noted in my previous reply, I got different results with different Quicken releases: R54.9 seemed to handle the situation as expected - R50.16 did not. You have not said what Quicken release you're running. If you're not using R54.9, you might consider doing so.

In any event, I would encourage you to consider whether designating a Quicken investment account as a "business" account will serve any useful purpose.

Basically the only thing designating a Quicken account as a "Business" account does is group that account with other Quicken "Business" accounts (in the Account Bar, for example): it does not insure that transactions in that account will be treated as "business transactions".

Quicken cannot reliably treat all investment transactions in a given account as "business transactions". Some transactions in an investment account (a Dividend transaction, for example) will always be "personal transactions".

To be a "business transaction", a Quicken transaction must meet one of two criteria: it must have a Schedule C tax line item assigned, or it must have no tax line item assigned but have a "Business Tag" assigned. 

A Quicken "Dividend" (Action=DivInc) transaction (for example) can never pass either of those tests, so it will always be a "personal transaction".

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UserSinceDosVersion
    Options

The solution is to:

1- Edit the offending business account and change the Display Option from "Investment" to "Personal"

2 - Edit the graphs (now that the account is available in the UI)

3 - Change the display Option back to "Investment" from "Personal"

This discussion has been closed.