Trying to add a Wells Fargo Online Bill results in a crash

Options
JWin
JWin Member ✭✭

I'm trying to add an Online Bill in the Bills & Income tab (tried it from Manage Bills & Income Reminders, too) for Wells Fargo and clicking on Wells Fargo after a search caused the program to crash immediately after clicking on "OK" on the "Something went wrong, please try later." dialog box (no choice to submit the error).

I did a file Validate but that didn't help. I added another Online Bill from another institution and that worked as expected. I've attached an image of the error dialog I received.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @JWin,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. Is this your first time trying to add Wells Fargo as a biller? What kind of account are you trying to track the bill for (credit card, mortgage, auto loan, etc)? Is that account already connected in your Quicken, and if so, is it connected by Express Web Connect + or Direct Connect? To check the connection method, go to Tools>Account List. To see how the account is connected, look in the Transaction Download column for that account.

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• JWin
    JWin Member ✭✭
    edited January 20
    Options

I've already added Wells Fargo online (credit card) bills for 3 separate individuals a while ago. I'm trying to add an online bill for a 4th individual's Wells Fargo credit card. All Wells Fargo accounts have been added to Quicken via Direct Connect. I've since added online bills for credit cards at 2 other institutions (Barclays, Elan Financial) with no issues while the Wells Fargo problem persists.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

To troubleshoot this issue, I suggest you try to Review and Repair Online billers. Please save a backup of your data file first. After that, please navigate to the Bills & Income tab and click on the gear icon on the top-right. Then, click on Review and Repair > Review and Repair Online Billers in the dropdown menu.

Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• JWin
    JWin Member ✭✭
    Options

I just completed all the Review and Repair functions (which I also completed before) and the problem still persists. The "something went wrong" error dialog immediately pops up and closing it terminates the Quicken program.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

To check for file specific issues that may be causing this, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I just had a similar crash issue with BofA bill.

Error followed by silent crash and it turned out to be a cloud issue.

IF NOTHING easier works, you may want to try below even though it is a pain.

NOTE: Any of the steps below will probably result in all Online EWC related accounts to lose their connection and need to be re-authorized
    For me to fix mine, I needed to reset the cloud data completely.
    If mobile SYNC is enabled, edit/preferences/mobile and web Reset Cloud
    (I also completely deleted cloud data (not sure if this was needed but once I knew it was cloud related I did it: To do that, you need to open a different data file (File/New add any account and enable mobile. Then edit/preferences/QuickenID and Cloud Cloud Accounts associated with QuickenID and delete the one giving problems)
    As noted above, you will need to re-authorize accounts and then add the bill .

• JWin
    JWin Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina I originally did a Validate (see my original post) but I went ahead and did a Validate and a Super Validate. The issue with Wells Fargo was still there. However, I kind of remembered some communications from Quicken that Online Bills only worked with Express Web Connect and not Direct Connect. I disabled Online Services, went to the Account List, added a new account, and chose Advanced Options in order to choose Express Web Connect. After that and doing a One Step Update, the Wells Fargo bill I wanted showed up when I went to add a new Online Bill.

I'm pretty sure with the other Wells Fargo accounts, I changed EWC to Direct Connect (worked better for me) and the Online Bills remained intact. Please consider this issue solved.

@miklk Thank you for the suggestion. I'm glad I didn't have to go that route as I have many accounts I would have had to redo.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for the follow up,

I'm glad to hear the issue is resolved, and thank you for sharing the resolution.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out!

Quicken Kristina

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Glad you got the problem worked around.

Obviously, the program should handle that error more gracefully.

This discussion has been closed.