Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Options

Quicken Classic Premier R54.9 / Win 10 version 22H2

I was able to set up Quicken and have correct downloads from other companies (example Fidelity, and American Funds)

American Century Investments - when I use on-step update (Direct Connect) it completes and says "Financial Institutions Updated"; however, nothing is updated. Opening account holdings (there are 26) the "Last Statement Update" varies by Account from N/A to 9/4/2023. The Accounts have Tracking Method - Complete. I've tried resetting the account. I am contemplating deleting all 26 accounts and starting over from scratch; however, with 26 accounts I wanted to first see if some can help me here. Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Finrep001,

To troubleshoot this issue, first, check to make sure you have the register sorted by date. Once that is done, compare to the financial institution website to verify that there are posted transactions that are not reflecting in Quicken. If there are posted transactions that aren't yet showing in Quicken, then there are some things to consider. If they're older than 90 days, they may not automatically download into Quicken (many financial institutions provide only 90 days worth of transactions for automatic downloads). If they're very new, you may want to try again in 24-48 hours to see if they download. If you have transactions that tend to be very similar every month (same payee, same amount, etc), then you may want to check to see if the transactions are incorrectly matching to transactions already in your register.

If you have checked all that and none of those correct the issue, then please backup your Quicken file, deactivate the affected accounts, then reconnect them by going to Tools>Add Account and following the prompts, being careful to relink the accounts to the correct nicknames in Quicken.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Finrep001
    Finrep001 Member
    Options

Rechecking everything, I see that no transactions have ever been successfully downloaded from American Century Investments. I get one odd error: American Century Investments does not recognize one of my accounts. It's strange because that account is not visible on the American Century site, and customer service says it was closed in 2021, two years before I first installed Quicken. Also, I did not find that account in Quicken ( I checked hidden accounts, too).

Therefore, I deactivated all the American Century Investments accounts in Quicken. Afterward, I reconnected them and ran an update. Quicken reported, "Downloaded and categorized transactions from the last … days." The days displayed ranged by account from one day to 244 days. One Step Update reported complete. As before, except for the odd error message, it completes without issue.

Reviewing each of the accounts, I found zero records were added. Also, as previously mentioned, the "Last Statement Update" varies by Account from N/A to 9/4/2023, so there is no change here. 

Recommendations for other actions to try are most welcome. Thanks.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Considering that you are getting an error message for an account that you're not able to find in your Quicken, the issue may be caused by a file specific problem. To troubleshoot that, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• Finrep001
    Finrep001 Member
    Options

Quicken Kristina

Yesterday, 1/31/2024, I ran Validate and then Super Validate. The good news is that the message error “The American Century Investments does not recognize one of my accounts.” is gone.

After “one step of update,” it completes with no error and says, “25 accounts updated”. For the 25 accounts, the Last transaction date is 1/31/2024, and so is the Last Statement Download date.

However, none of the accounts show new transactions, even though they should have some. I selected each account. The first one prompted it did not match American Century and created a Placeholder for me. The remaining 24 did not do this.

In summary, “one step of update” goes through the process like all is well, but still no records. The original issue remains.

Recommendations for what to try next are most welcome. Thanks.

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There's multiple posts/threads with many financial institutions where Quicken isn't downloading the transactions. Quicken remains silent on these so far (been ongoing for over a week now). Some (like me) have mostly been able to workaround by deactivating, clearing out the financial institution information (bank name and Account #) in the Details section of the account and then re-activating/setup now (I used the Plus Sign + Add account). But it doesn't always work.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply @Finrep001,

Next, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file, which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates. Note: Unless you believe older transactions are causing issues in your file, there is no need to "shrink" your file.

It's important to know that all online services will be disconnected in the copied file, and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID. I recommend reconnecting the American Century accounts first, to verify the issue is corrected in the copy, before reconnecting any other accounts.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• Finrep001
    Finrep001 Member
    Options

Quicken Kristina

I tried it once with the entire data file, and when that did not correct the issue, I created a shrunk copy from the original. Unfortunately, this, too, did not fix the problem.

Thanks for your continued help.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Due to the nature of this issue, I recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• Finrep001
    Finrep001 Member
    Options

Quicken Kristina

I called support, and we resolved this by creating a new file and adding American Century.

Of course, I now need to add the various other accounts, which will take a while, but I am happy to have this resolved.

Thanks!

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for the follow up,

I'm glad to hear Support was able to help you resolve the issue.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.