citibank reauth duplicate transactions [Edited]

Options

Make sure you have a current backup before even attempting. I have tried 3 times and it destroys my data. The process downloads 2130 days of transactions for a completely updated account. My balance changes from $540 to $24000.

Not usable.

Comments

• jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Options

I agree . Updated thru One Step and Citi Bank credit card transactions are incorrect and downloaded over two years . There were 33 I had to re categorize and one of my banking accounts I never use to pay off my credit card showed a NEGATIVE BALANCE ?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Mike121212 and @jjrichards,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. Did this problem start when you had to reauthorize your accounts? Do you recall if your accounts were previously connected by Express Web Connect, by Direct Connect, or by Web Connect? Is this affecting only Citi accounts, or have you seen this behavior with any other financial institutions?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Options

Kristina:

I did reauthorize my account this is when all the transactions changed. I think I was connecting thru Direct Connect. I just deactivated since I am going to download my credit card transactions thru Citi bank.

I also had issues with another bank , Poppy Bank when I reauthorized just Citi , I was showing a negative 9k balance ?

I have read threads many other users who are having the same issues with Citi Bank credit cards . This is very frustrating since many of us use a category to itemize our expenses

Jeff

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    Options

Same thing here going from Direct to EWC +. Trashed the register. Took quite some time to get straight. As I asked in my bug report, was this even trested?

ALWAYS susprised me when switching connections the starting balance on an account can be changed in Quicken. And, btw, all dupes were dated one day off the original transactions.

Bug here. Actually several.

Write down starting balance at the very least before trying this folks.

• ACS_123
    ACS_123 Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. Once i reauthorized, which took multiple attempts, my Citi accounts downloaded many transactions, all dated far in the past. And very few of them matched with my existing registry, implying they are either incorrect transactions or the date is incorrect. Make sure you have a backup before updating your Citi account

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited January 22
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached, provide the names of the affected accounts, as they show in your Quicken, and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-8791)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Shirley Evans
    Shirley Evans Member
    edited January 22
    Options

II have been having the duplicate historical transactions from Citi problem I see many others are as well. I just spoke with Tech Support who politely explained that there is no way of identifying the duplicate, reconciled transactions in the Citi accounts and I have to live with the change. I have two credit card accounts that are affected, and result in thousands of transactions going back several years that would end up being duplicates. This is a disaster! Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do or perhaps a better software package?

[Merged Post]

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 22
    Options

You can handle the duplicates by sorting the register by Order Entered. That will place all of the last download entries at the bottom of the register. Accept the legitimate new ones and the delete the rest.

[Merged Post]

• Mike121212
    Mike121212 Member
    Options

Hello Kristina. My citi account was configured to be direct connect and has been for years. I did work on my quicken data on thursday. No backup happened.

Attempt 1

On Friday afternoon, I loaded Quicken and was prompted to reauthorize the Citi connection. I think there was a notice about this, so no problem. I think I did the same thing with another account some time ago.

So, I just went with the prompts. I was directed to a web page to log in to my Citi account, which I did. Somewhere, I was asked to link to an existing account. I pressed the combo box to select the account and thought I had selected the default, correct Citi account.

I completed the task and saw a message about syncing 750 (or so) days of transactions.

When the sync was complete, everything was a mess. A checking account I have not used in 20 years showed up in the Separate area of the account list. It had a large balance. I went into the citi account, and all the transaction categories for several years were changed to links to this old, unused account.

I am a 20+ quicken veteran, and I quickly realized there was no hope to fix this mess. So, I went to a backup that was a few days old and started over.

Attempt 2.

There was a prompt to update quicken app. I updated before attempt 2 was started.

I know how to work these problems, so with my backup, I repeat the process. I repeat the reauth process. This time, I noticed that the default for the account for linking to my Citibank account is the very same old, unused account I noticed in attempt 1. I made very certain to select the correct Citibank account, and I got the same 2030 days of transaction sync message. But, this time, all the transactions were added to my citibank account. Too many transactions to fix, so I started over with my backup.

Attempt 3 and 4 - I tried a few things, but nothing worked.

Moving forward. I went to my backup and repeated my lost edits. I also deactivated my citibank connection. I then did a complete update, making many backups as I proceeded.

Now, I did notice that a lightly used, active, savings account with Wells Fargo did download about a year's worth of duplicate data. I have had this problem before with reauth, but never during an update. My transactions are all reconciled, so I sorted by "Cleared" and deleted about 20 transactions.

For what it is worth, my data file has data going back to 1996 or 1997. It is currently about 216MB in size.

Hope this helps, Mike

• John Zei
    John Zei Member ✭✭
    Options

I am experiencing the same problem. Every time I try to sync my Citi account I am asked to authorize the connection. I go through the process and it then downloads hundred of duplicate past transactions, some for another closed account that is not on the authorization list and has a completely different account number. The transactions date back to 2022 or later. The only solution has been to restore from the most recent back up and try again. Citi downloads have always been a problem, but not this bad. This "improvement" has been a mess that apparently has not been beta tested, debugged or put on hold until the problems are identified and corrected. Who is responsible — Citi or Intuit? Meanwhile I suggest you backup before any attempt to update a Citi account. And that Quicken be more forthright about the problem — just look at the number of comments on this and other threads.

This discussion has been closed.