Manually entered investment account is not calculating market value correctly.

Options
tcatut
tcatut Member ✭✭

I have a manually created investment account, for tracking a private ESOP plan that only changes value once a year when the company value is re-assessed. I have setup a vestment schedule, with correct values and number of shares. Both the Quote/Price and Shares are being reported properly based on the vestment calculations. I'm essentially 20% vested and this appears to get the correct number of shares to have the right value.

HOWEVER, the Market Value is being reported substantially wrong. Basic calculator math, share value times number of shares, shows that it's off by over 300% on the market value. My calculator math matches up exactly with the ESOP value as provided from my company, but I cannot figure out how to make Quicken match this calculation correctly.

You can see from the attached screen shot, the math just doesn't add up here; both literally and figuratively. The value that you see in my manual calculation is exactly what is reported as my current ESOP value, but Quicken is WAY off from this even though it has the right price per share and number of shares.

I have already tried recreating the account, making sure to enter the quoted share price before creating any of my share transactions. I have also tried changing dates to see if maybe there's some weird time calculation going on. Neither of which has changed the value being reported by Quicken. If there was some time based factor here, you would expect the calculation to change if you mess with dates; but that doesn't seem to affect it either.

Maybe there's something weird being double counted in the market value calculation? If there is, I haven't been able to figure out where. Any assistance would be appreciated here. It sure would be nice if this matched my actual value, instead of under reporting by more than 300%.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @tcatut,

Due to the nature of this issue, it is recommended that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• AriM
    AriM Member
    Options

I have the same problem. The security value is not equal to the number of shares times the price. It is off exactly by a factor of 100. However, I have been on hold trying to reach support and am not able to work with them on the phone. Has anyone found a solution to this?

• tcatut
    tcatut Member ✭✭
    Options

I haven't had a chance to get with support yet. Just saw this reply actually. As indicated in my original message, I've already gone through all the recommendations for verifying my data files, recreating the account and transactions in several different ways, etc. I don't know what math they're using here, but the values literally just don't add up. It says the right count of shared, and price per share, to come up with the correct market value. However, the market value itself is not anywhere near that number.

I will try contacting support, but doubt they are going to share anything new that I haven't already tried in the application. At best, I would hope they can escalate back to developers as a bug; because I'm pretty sure their math is just wrong here and there's nothing I can do as a user to override that.

Will make another posting after I talk to support, but expect that might be another week or two. As someone that works 9-5 job and has children, it's hard to find the time to "troubleshoot" for an indefinite amount of time. Stay tuned.

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@tcatut - one thing to try is when you are in the investment register (click on a transaction to make sure) is to do a [Ctrl+Shift+Z]. You then should see -

Just click on "OK" and then check the Market Value. Sometimes this does fix the issue, but sometimes not, but it doesn't hurt anything and worth a try.

This discussion has been closed.