Importing Address Book from Quicken for Windows

Options
BenK-FL
BenK-FL Member

Hi there!

I've been a Quicken for Windows user for several years now to manage the check-writing and account reconciliation for a small non-profit. (I'm using Quicken Classic Deluxe.) The Windows machine that I've been using is dying, and I'm trying to figure out if using Quicken for Mac is a viable alternative.

I was able to import my account from the Windows version, and everything seems to work well—except for payee addresses. All of my payees are there when I look in the Payees & Rules window, but I've lost all of their addresses. Now, when I try to write a check, the address field is blank.

I've seen in past posts on this forum that there's no specific address book function in the Mac version, but there are several address fields associated with a payee. Is there any way to port these addresses across, or would I be stuck re-entering all of this information?

Thanks for any assistance!

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I can't answer the question, other than to say the addresses for Payees in Quicken Mac seems to be tucked away in a corner with very little functionality. The developers haven't touched the check writing part of the code in a decade; user requests to modernize the code for positioning elements on printed checks have been ignored — likely because relatively few Quicken Mac users print checks in Quicken.

Nearly half of Americans didn't write a single check last year; of the other half who wrote checks, 40% wrote one or fewer per month, and 50% wrote a handful or less per month. We have no stats on how many checks written by Quicken users were actually printed by the software; I would guess that many infrequent check writers (like me) either hand write them or use an online bill payment service. Put all that together, and it likely explains why check writing features in Quicken Mac get little to no attention.

My guess is that if the addresses didn't come over in the Windows-to-Mac conversion, you're out of luck. There's no way to import Payees into Quicken Mac, and no way to import addresses to existing Payees.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For the most part in Quicken Windows the Address Book is most a business feature.

You can't even directly access the address book unless you have Home & Business.

In edition below Home & Business you can access one address at a time from either the memorized payee list or the "very dated" write check GUI.

For instance, it is impossible to export/import the address book without the Home & Business edition.

When you view this in this context you can quickly see why there are some people that still write checks even if they aren't "oldies". But with Quicken Mac business being so new this certainly wouldn't be a feature that they would really be pushing.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.