R54.9 error - Capital Gains report Subtotal by: is no longer functioning correctly

Options
jmaino
jmaino Member ✭✭
edited April 9 in Reports (Windows)

Issue is not present in 53.32 but the bug shows up as 54.9 is installed.

Capital Gains report is misbehaving wrt: "Subtotal by:" dropdown menu.

Examples:

If "Security" is chosen, then subtotaling is improperly performed by "Security Type".
If "Security Type" is chosen, the subtotaling is improperly performed by the "Investment Goal".
If "Investment Goal" is chosen, the subtotaling is improperly performed by the "Asset Class".
If "Asset Class" is chosen, the subtotaling appears to be improperly performed by month
Other choices do seem to function correctly, but these 4 are mismatched between the chosen item of the dropdown and the required functionality.

Would appreciate a really quick fix for this.

Thanks

Comments

• RichardCSchreyer
    RichardCSchreyer Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can't your sort by any option shown under sort by?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I confirm the bug reported by @jmaino . Looks to be an "off by one" error in reading some of the menu values.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jmaino
    jmaino Member ✭✭
    Options

@RichardCSchreyer thanks for the response.

I had a repetitive typo in my original post, that I have since edited/corrected.

There is no issue w/ Sorting - the issue is with Subtotaling.

I've edited multiple original statement of
    If "X" is chosen, then sorting is improperly performed by "Y".

to instead read (properly):
    If "X" is chosen, then subtotaling is improperly performed by "Y".

A few pictures of the report view and subtotal headers might help show what I'm attempting to report.

^^ Above, I've chosen to Subtotal by "Security", but you can see the subtotal heading of "Futures", which is a custom Security Type for me. The headers and subtotals here should be individual securities, by name.

^^ Above, I've chosen to Subtotal by "Security Type", but the subtotal heading is "(No Goal)" which is one of Q's default Investing Goals. The headers and subtotals here should be individual security types - for example, in my case, I expect one of these to be "Futures", which is incorrectly used when Subtotal by: Security is selected as in the prior picture.

^^ Above, I've chosen Subtotal by: "Investing Goal", and the subtotal heading is "Large Cap Stocks" which is one of Q's default Asset Classes. The headers and subtotals here should be individual investing goals - ie: "(No Goal)", as in the prior picture.

As I said - this behavior was not there prior to the most-recent patch.

I hope this clears up any confusion from my original report.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited January 22
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(QWIN-23042)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jmaino
    jmaino Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina - have done so.

Thanks

• Elmer135
    Elmer135 Member
    Options

Any chance this will get resolved quickly??? This is a real inconvenience!

• evonderheyden
    evonderheyden Member ✭✭
    Options

When running a report on capital gains, I wanted to subtotal by security. When I select this, the report subtotals by Security Type. Some other subtotal selections are also wrong:

When I select subtotal by Security Type, it subtotals by Investment Goal.

When I select Investing Goal, it subtotals by Asset Class

When I select Asset Class, it subtotals by Month

The first five subtotal options produce the desired outcome. Unfortunately, none of them give me a subtotal by Security

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is another discussion of this bug here

I have asked a Moderator to merge your post into that one

QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

This issue should be corrected in R54.16. If you don't get the prompt to update, you can use this link to go to the page that allows you to manually update.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    edited January 29
    Options

Apparently R54.16 is now in staged release, and is not yet being pushed to all users. I was able to install it by going to Help > Check for updates.

R54.16 does appear to resolve this problem; Capital Gains reports now subtotal correctly. Note that this fix is not listed in the Release Notes.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Regarding version numbering,why do the developers give a larger number to an earlier release?

R54.9 is larger than R54.16

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

.16 is smaller than .9

• Jim_Harman
    Options

The number after the dot is a sequence number, not a decimal fraction. It might be clearer if Quicken called it R54.09 rather than R54.9.

There was a similar sequence last June with R50.5, 50.8, 50.13, 50.14, 50.15, and 50.16. Let's hope it does not take as many tries to get it right this time!

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting. I wonder how the numbering scheme resolves version Rxx.1 vs Rxx.10 . I guess they avoid one of the numbers to avoid confusion. Agree it should be Rxx.01.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

The numbering system is like numbered subsections in Word documents. It is not unusual.

The Dewey Duodecimal system for library books is different.

• jmaino
    jmaino Member ✭✭
    Options

I can confirm that 54.16 does resolve the problem I first reported; but now that it's fixed, another is exposed (and I've reported it thru Q already).

If I save a report w/ "Subtotal by:" set to "Security Type", I expect it to start up that way when reloaded from saved state; instead, new invocation of the saved report starts by Subtotalling by "Investment Goal". This was also not an issue prior to 54.9 - so there's still some work to do.

• jmaino
    jmaino Member ✭✭
    Options

OK - somehow after several reproductions of the above and after another restart of Quicken, it's gone and I can no longer reproduce the saved report not restoring the selection. I think it's probably best and safe to close this thread at this time since the originally reported issue is now resolved.
    Thanks.

• jmaino
    jmaino Member ✭✭
    edited February 21
    Options

@Quicken Kristina

I've reproduced the issue last reported here, and here are the instructions to do so:

Open a saved Capital Gains report that is saved to Subtotal By: Security Type and then select the cog to customize the report.
    Switch to the Securities Tab, click on "Select All", (Confirmed: The Display Tab of the Customize Window has Subtotal by: Security Type), then press OK - the report improperly changes to Subtotal by Investing Goal, necessitating the user change back to Subtotal by: Security Type again. There should be no change in Subtotal by: behavior in this case since the user is not making a change to the subtotal settings, and the Display tab of the configuration dialog still has it set to Security Type.

Thanks again, in advance, for the quick resolution of this.

• Quicken Kristina
    edited March 1
    Options

Thank you for the update and instructions on how to replicate the issue @jmaino,

Sorry for the delayed response; I didn't receive a notification that you'd posted.

I was able to replicate the issue, as well as identify other similar actions that also trigger unexpected/unwanted results. I forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have it further investigated.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-9210)

Quicken Kristina

• jmaino
    jmaino Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina - thanks - I can confirm that this latest issue with report customization changing the "subtotal by" behavior, has been fixed in R55.12. I appreciate the detailed notice of this in the Release Notes.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for the follow up,

I'm glad to hear that the issue has been corrected in R55.12.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.