Bill and Income Reminders section for Investing accounts

Options
AllanP
AllanP Member ✭✭

From Quicken session to session, the Bill and Income Reminders section at the bottom of the screen stays minimized for banking accounts (if you choose to do that), but not for Investing accounts. Is there a way to set that? I typically do not have any reminders for Investing accounts, and I'd rather have more screen real estate for the Investing accounts transactions.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @AllanP,

To assist with this issue, could you please clarify some information? Are you clicking the arrow to minimize it, it remembers that preference while Quicken is open, but then after you've closed and re-opened Quicken, it is not remembering that preference? Is this happening in all investment accounts, or just some? Does it make a difference whether it is on the Bill and Income Reminders or the Placeholder Entries tab?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• AllanP
    AllanP Member ✭✭
    edited January 23
    Options

Yes, I click the arrow to minimize the reminders section. It happens with all investment accounts. I just did some testing. I just noticed that if I minimize some investment accounts, and open reminders on some bank accounts, and then exit the program, when I start the program, all bank accounts are minimized and all investment accounts have reminders expanded. So it does not save that setting on exit. The blue highlight bar is on the Bill and Income Reminders tab. I’ve never looked at the placeholders tab.

Which INI file and what setting is it that saves the state (maximized/minimized), so that we can see what is going on?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Our troubleshooting documentation doesn't provide that kind of information, so I'm afraid I don't have a good answer to your question.

To check for file specific issues, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• AllanP
    AllanP Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Kristina.

I validated, made no difference. Then I Super Validated. Also made no difference. All banking accounts always start with Bill and Income Reminders minimized (which is fine, I like that). But all Investing accounts always start with Bill and Income Reminders open (maximized). I would rather have them minimized as well.

Ideally I would like all accounts (banking and investment) to open in whatever state I left each one of them in when I exited.

Any other ideas?

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina I'm curious whether the moderators make it a practice to check/verify behaviours described by users on the forum in their own copy of Quicken (using the appropriate version) and sample data file to see whether they can recreate the behaviour before proposing validate/super validate. Furthemore, your senior tech support people strongly caution running validate and even more so super validate because they say it is like punching holes in a sheet of paper - you can only run it so many times and it will cause catastrophic failure. While I don't necessarily agree with them / believe them, I find it curious that your senior tech support folks strongly caution against frequent use of these tools; conversely, the advice to validate and super validate is handed out like cheap Halloween candy by moderators on the forum… and yet, I don't think I can recall a single time where I've seen a user write back indicating that running validation actually solved the issue. Validate and Super Validate only address a very narrow range of datafile specific issues. They are very limited tools.

• AllanP
    AllanP Member ✭✭
    Options

Arctic Hare

I found your reply very interesting. I actually didn’t think it would solve the problem, but figured I would give it a shot. I make multiple backups of my data files every night, so I knew there would probably be a low risk if this messed up my data file.

In the meantime, I still have no resolution to this. Since I think this has been operating like this for a long time, I am just going to assume this is another one of those low priority bugs. Unless someone can tell me that this is the way it’s supposed to work, and I just have to live with it.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Arctic Hare I concur with yoru above post adding that some Quicken moderators are more likely to provide that advise than others. The other question that I would like to know is whether the moderators have access to a Knowledge Data Base to assist in trouble shooting.

This discussion has been closed.