Online transaction freeze

Options
rdforsha
rdforsha Member

Quicken program freezes when trying to update online transactions. I currently have update 54.9.

I've tried the validate/repair to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @rdforsha,

Are you receiving any error codes or messages? When did this issue begin to occur? After a recent update? Does this occur during One Step Update, individual account updates, or both?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• dondgc
    dondgc Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same issue. Started after the update this morning.

• rdforsha
    rdforsha Member
    Options

No error codes, the program just freezes and I have to use task manager to shut off the program.

The problem happened after the last program update, I now have the R54.9 version.

The program freezes after One Step Update and individual account updates.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:

1. Even if you are on the latest software level already, download and install the latest Manual Patch file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product to ensure your Quicken software is up to date and correctly installed.
    2. Reboot Windows.
    3. Start Quicken. Do not run One Step Update.
    4. Run BOTH Validate and Supervalidate to attempt to repair your Quicken data file.
    5. If nothing helps, try to restore your Quicken data file from an Automatic or Manual backup taken just prior to the problems first occurring. https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Validate and Supervalidate instructions
    First save a backup file prior to performing these steps
    Validate: 
    • Click File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots".
    • If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    • Click File
    • Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Supervalidate File
    • Click OK
    • Review the Data Log. Anything interesting in there, worthwhile posting here?
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    Options

I've been having the same problem and I'm about to ask for a refund of my recent subscription!

So, I don't know if this helps, but… I have another separate Quicken file that has only one bank account and it updates without a hitch! I have also deactivated all but one or two of a multitude of accounts to update in my main file, and it still freezes. I still get the pop up about adding accounts, then it goes to the big freeze as shown here. Note: I have not update this other simple file for some time. (more below)

I downloaded the latest patch (update) and did the installation, but it did not fix anything. [I get the feeling one of the last Updates may have corrupted many of us Users' files….(?). But in the case of my other file mentioned above, I never tried to update that with the previous version prior to R54.9. So, if that prior version did cause corruption, it would not have affected that file because I didn't do a One Step update with it. Just musing… ]

I did the Validate. It did come up with a number of errors. See second graphic below. ( I redacted my personal information but did not change any of the error verbiage.) I then closed Quicken and waited a minute or two before restarting. I have only one bank account activated. It hung up for awhile at the initial One Step screen, then I got the 'add account' popup again and then it froze at the One Step Progress screen, as it has been since this problem started! (Other than stopping at the screen shown below that last few times before I did all this activity.)

I then went back in and did the Supervalidate and got zero errors.

I don't know what else to do except uninstall the blasted app and try to start with a new install. Arrgh!

EDIT - FYI - the last update that 'worked' was 1/11/23 even though I was having this freeze issue at the time. I cannot recall the details, but I think I was playing with the Deactive, Active and Reset account features.

EDIT - So… I just pulled up an Backup file from ~12/22/23 and lo and behold, it took a minute or two (I have a good number of accounts) but it DID NOT freeze…. It acted like it did an Update, but the latest transactions are dated Dec 18, earlier than the date of the backup! The fact that it didn't freeze pretty much tells me that my main file may be corrupt as far as running the One Step Update… would anyone agree? Could this be a widespread corruption issue caused by a previous Quicken revision, as mentioned above?
    So, I just ran it again and this time, it took over 5 minutes in the Progress screen with the circle turning at least, but it didn't freeze. The newest transactions are still 12/18. Again, this is from a backup file.

[Thu Jan 25 20:22:40 2024]

File: "C:\Users\xxxx\OneDrive\Documents\Financial\zzzzz Home 2022"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired Smith Bank Checking XX00=75 account. No action required.
    Quicken repaired Jones Bank Checking ...052 XXXXX052 account. No action required.
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "xxx XXXXX111" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "yyy XXXXX222" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "zzz XXXX333" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "aaa XXXXX444" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "bbb XXXXX555" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ccc XXXXX666" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ddd XXXXX777" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken found a transaction with an invalid date and set it to today's date. "Smith Checking XX00=75" 1/25/2024

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Thu Jan 25 20:22:49 2024]

The following transaction(s) involving transfers appear to be damaged.
    You should delete them and recreate as appropriate.

Account A PRIMARY CHECKING XX2222: 10/26/2022 Wal-mart -122.94
    Split 1 [N\A] -100.00

2 scheduled transactions corrected
    Maximum security reference: 32, number of securities: 32.
    No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.

• gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 26
    Options

UPDATE - Sheesh! So many steps it may make you crazy trying to follow, but maybe it will help someone.

So, after no success with the steps posted above, I followed these instructions to uninstall and reinstall Quicken then installed an older version (patch) R53.16. This did not resolve the freezing.

https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has

I then did it all again and installed Quicken and installed what I think is the original 'new' classic deluxe version(?), R17.52 (patch). Whatever. Can't keep up with all that. At that point I just decided to use a backup file from November and only try to update one bank with four accounts. Lo and behold, it didn't freeze! But, it didn't download transactions later than early November. Hmmm…

So, I did a Reset in Online Services for one of the four accounts and baam! It worked and brought in all transactions up to the current date!

I then opened my main file that I have had trouble with, attempted to Reset one of the BofA accounts and what I perceive to be corrupted by one the recent Quicken updates, and it froze up during the Reset. Arrgh! I'm convinced the file(s) used with the update that started this freezing stuff have been corrupted, since it fails to work with an older version of Quicken with which an older (pre-freeze) file works. I ended Quicken in Task Manager. Restarted Quicken, brought up the older pre-freeze file, reset a second account at BofA and it didn't freeze, but it didn't download anything past early November. Odd… Is there a way to force Quicken to download more transactions?

Sorry for rambling. I guess that's it for now.

• rdforsha
    rdforsha Member
    Options

I did everything that was suggested by UKR and nothing worked. The updates still confuse Chase with Fidelity and causes the program to freeze.

Other than deleting those accounts and adding them again, I don't know what else to do.

This discussion has been closed.