Question: How Many Years, Votes, and Comments Are Required Before Ideas Get Done?

Options
John@33
John@33 Member ✭✭✭

The Quicken users community has been asking for the ability to mass-export attachments since the day (or day after) the "upgrade" that caused all attachments to become swallowed up by the QDF and deleted from the file system.

Just to ensure the community has realistic expectations of the Quicken development team, I'm asking for the requirements that change an idea/feature request into an action item and then into a released feature.

Just a few examples:

Tagged:

Best Answer

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23 Answer ✓
    Options

Actually, there is one threshold that we can mention.

"We [Quicken moderators] will periodically review threads, but, we will typically not look at existing ideas in Reviewed status until they reach a vote threshold, which is currently:)"

• 45 total votes (Windows)
    • 30 total votes (Mac)
    • 15 total votes (Mobile and Web)

When the ideas reach these levels, they are moved to Under Consideration and will be reviewed twice monthly with the product teams in order to get status updates, which we’ll then add to the community.

Of course, some ideas may be implemented by the product team because they’ve decided to do it independently of the community votes (there may be contacts or feedback from other channels that drive these decisions). If that’s the case, we will try to update the idea when the change is implemented."

If an idea is moved to the "Planned" status, no one knows when it might be implemented.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Answer: It depends upon the specific request, and what competing priorities there are.

I.E., no one on this user-to-user forum can answer your question.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23 Answer ✓
    Options

Actually, there is one threshold that we can mention.

"We [Quicken moderators] will periodically review threads, but, we will typically not look at existing ideas in Reviewed status until they reach a vote threshold, which is currently:)"

• 45 total votes (Windows)
    • 30 total votes (Mac)
    • 15 total votes (Mobile and Web)

When the ideas reach these levels, they are moved to Under Consideration and will be reviewed twice monthly with the product teams in order to get status updates, which we’ll then add to the community.

Of course, some ideas may be implemented by the product team because they’ve decided to do it independently of the community votes (there may be contacts or feedback from other channels that drive these decisions). If that’s the case, we will try to update the idea when the change is implemented."

If an idea is moved to the "Planned" status, no one knows when it might be implemented.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• John@33
    John@33 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

For some reason, my posts are being deleted, so I'll try and remember what I typed and post this again. Seems to happen when I go to edit them.

Thank you for pointing out the voting thing. I recall on the old forum the votes and upvoting were quite obvious. It made me go back to the idea post I linked originally here to see where/how voting was handled now (I honestly thought it was removed in this new forum). I stared at and studied the page for a bit and finally noticed the teensy tiny black up arrow under a number. Nothing on the mouseover but clicked it anyway and the number increased. So, I guess that's how you upvote. I would ask that a UI redesign on that be considered because it was very much not obvious that's what was being asked of me.

One other question… once an idea is moved to Under Consideration, does it get perpetually reviewed semimonthly until a decision is made to either deny the idea or insert it into the dev pipeline?

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23
    Options

UI Redesign has been requested multiple times since we moved here… so far, some but little change. Definitely not the vote count other than to inverse what the tiny grey/black icon represents. Black used to mean vote was already cast. Now it is grey. (Some old posts still refer to the old meanings).

As for the reviews, the process seems to ebb and flow at Quicken regarding this. I think they are currently relying on the vote counts only at this point. Once it reaches a threshold they are supposed to take action, or as indicated, update an idea if there is feedback from another avenue. This was the process outlined as of Oct 2023.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For some reason, my posts are being deleted, so I'll try and remember what I typed and post this again. Seems to happen when I go to edit them.

There is an automatic spam system on this forum, and "randomly" will put a comment into a queue for the moderators to approve it instead of directly posting it. Then when the moderator approves it, it will show up (out of order I might add).

I would ask that a UI redesign on that be considered 

You can put in an Idea post for that (go to the Home page → New Post → New Idea) so that people can vote on it, but the truth is that this isn't under their control. This forum is from a product called Vanilla and Quicken Inc is just a customer using their software. So, these kinds of changes would have to be requested by Quicken Inc and implemented by that other company. So, this is a vote (here) to have them vote for a change.

Just to ensure the community has realistic expectations of the Quicken development team, I'm asking for the requirements that change an idea/feature request into an action item and then into a released feature.

In my opinion a "realistic expectation" would be:

You can expect the change when you see it in the release. And if you are using Quicken Windows you can expect it to have problems when it is first released, and they may or may not get around to fixing those problems.

Nothing else really matters. The "under consideration", and "planned" have no timelines. What's more they might even implement something that no one here requested. And they might go straight from "no status" to implemented. There are "planned" feature requests for Quicken Windows that haven't been implement years after they were marked that way.

This system isn't really tied directly to their internal bug system/plans. It is a vague, notion of keeping the customers "informed".

I can't count how many post that I have read that say "But we have no ETA…" And that is probably the most truthful part of the system.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.