Does anyone else have trouble with 'setting a password to modify transactions'?

Options
David Stewart
David Stewart Member

Does anyone else have trouble with 'setting a password to modify transactions'? Seems that when I modify a transaction, Quicken DOES require my transaction password for the FIRST transaction that I'm modifying, ….BUT then Quicken DOES NOT require my password for any subsequent transaction modifying on with that same account. Does anyone else have that same issue?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This implementation is just like the Password Vault password. Once "opened" it stays open for the remainder of the session. Once you give permission to change transactions it sticks until you restart Quicken, it isn't a per transaction feature.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • David Stewart
    Options

Yes, it does stay 'open', …but seems to me that it didn't stay open, …and that I'd have to re-enter my password for each and everytime I modified a transaction. Does anyone else remember that?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't use the feature, so I really don't know what it did in the past. I could see people arguing that should work either way and if it was changed that might be the reason. But until your comment I haven't seen anyone remark on it either way.

Signature:
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@David Stewart

I've seen the exact issue you're seeing and posted about it several months ago*. It's clear to me that something has changed here, either in the program itself or something in our files that has gone sideways. It used to bedevil me when I wanted to make an en masse change to transactions and forgot to turn off that restriction.

*Lounge - 8/14/23

• David Stewart
    Options

Thank you for your remarks. As it is now, I find it has now become an 'almost useless feature' (from what I perceived the developers had been originally intended to be), …to protect us (or some of us like me) from making unintentional 'modifying' typos. Hopefully more remarks will follow. I did find it a 'reassuring' useful feature, I hope the developers will re-instate this feature. Again, thank you for your remarks.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@David Stewart

Like I said, it could be some bit of corruption in our files, since I don't remember any mention of a change in the program. (Of course the pattern with Quicken is that every time they modify the program they break something else, so maybe the change, if that's the case, was collateral damage.)

I don't think this particular feature is widely used but it seems like is should absolutely be working as it used to for any piece of software that at its heart is an "accounting program."

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I suggest that you report this a problem: Help → Report a problem, and maybe contact Quicken support on it.

One thing that is pretty true is that you have make a bit of noise for them to notice when they have messed up like this.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.