reconciliation not matching but reconciliation history ok

Options
Greydog9928
Greydog9928 Member, Mac Beta Beta

Using Mac Quicken Classic Business and Personal 7.5.2. I download my transactions from my bank Pacific Premier for three accounts. In the last week all 3 of my accounts say that the online balance does not match the quicken balance [by significant amounts] which is new. If I go to the reconciliation history for all 3 accounts, they all show zero discrepancy and $0 difference. There are no new duplicate or uncleared downloaded transactions. I double checked my last months bank statements for all 3 accounts about 3 weeks ago and they all reconciled fine. Not sure what is happening here.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Windows" guy here so this response would be one that I'd give if a Window's user posted with the same problem. Quicken has been known to change the Opening Balance of Accounts, a change that's been associated with "downloading", but with no understanding of why it happens. A while ago it was so chronic that the advice being handed out was to use the Memo field in that Opening Balance transaction to write down the correct opening balance, so that you could recover when this happened.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Greydog9928 Let me make sure I understand correctly: if you go to last month's reconciliation in Reconciliation History, there are no discrepancies, and the Quicken balance equals the bank statement balance, right? But this month is off? So that means the problem must be something after the end date of last month's bank statement/reconciliation date. Have you gone to the bank's website to view the transactions since the reconciliation and compared them to the transactions in Quicken? If they both started at the same number, and they current have a different ending number, it should be evident where one side or the other has a transaction missing from the other, or for a wrong amount.

The other thing I'd check is whether the bank website's running balance for your account matches the online balance in Quicken. Is the online balance, in fact, different than the balance you see on the bank's website? It may be that the bank is reporting an "online balance" to Quicken which does not match the actual posted balance you see on the bank's website. In most cases, this is because the bank has included one or more pending transactions in the balance they send to Quicken, resulting in a discrepancy from the posted transactions downloaded. See if you can determine if this is the problem.

Unfortunately, when banks report online balances with pending transactions, it's hard for us to know if the problem is the bank sending Quicken wrong information or Quicken not properly adjusting the balance when it filters out pending transactions sent by the bank. This is something you would need to pursue with Quicken Support to have them escalate to their connectivity provider to look into. The more practical solution may be to stop reconciling to the online balance, and instead reconcile to the statement balance each month. Doing it that way, you're guaranteed that the bank statement and Quicken are in sync, as you can see all the transactions on both sides, check them off in Quicken, and end on zero discrepancy.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Greydog9928
    edited January 25
    Options

I’ve compared to the banks website over last month since last months paper statement reconciliation I did last night. There are no other transactions on either side of things meaning the bank or the quicken app. It just seems that the online balance is off and I have never had this happen previously with these accounts. I am not sure if something changed the way they are now calculating the online balance. I have always had great immediate reconciliation right after transaction downloads. There are no pending transactions to explain the amount difference either.

• Greydog9928
    Options

I just reconciled to my monthly bank statement [end of January] and everything reconciles fine in all 3 accounts. It still says with the reconcile button that it is off though. Again I have never had an issue with immediate reconciliation with these three accounts after downloading transactions. Certainly online, today's. and projected balances are different as they always have. Did quicken or the bank change what balance they are using to determine if there is an immediate reconciliation difference?

This discussion has been closed.