Downloaded transactions wrong since 1/19

Options
LizzieT
LizzieT Member ✭✭

Since 1/19, each time I download credit card transactions my balances get more out of synch. Instead of increasing the amount owed as a debit, the amount is subtracted from my balance, as though a payment has been made. Payments, conversely, increase the amount owed. One account re-loaded hundreds of transactions, filling my register with duplicates.

I've been using Quicken for 20 years. I have many accounts set up, not all update every day. But as each account has been updated, separately, over the last week, this problem is created. I tried restoring from good backup, and as soon as I update I have the same problem.

I seem to recall this happened after recent update. Any thoughts? I'm on windows 11.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is that balance in red or black numbers?

If black, your credit card is in a positive balance state, meaning you have over paid what was owed. Now, you most probably did not overpay, but there are either duplicate payments or missing charges. It could also be that the Opening Balance was changed.

Please respond with the answer to red/black.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• LizzieT
    LizzieT Member ✭✭
    edited January 26
    Options

Whether red or black is irrelevant. My register balance should increase with every charge to a credit card account, but instead decreases. Payments should not act like debits. There are too many accounts and transactions to go through each and every transaction. It would be faster to just convert this to excel spreadsheet and use that. I'm tired of these weird problems that pop up in Quicken. Where's quality control?! I see there's a software update, R54.XX, if I recall that release number properly, being rolled out slowly that addresses exactly this problem. How do I get a copy of that? Should I reinstall an earlier version of Quicken until that is rolled out?

splasher - I don't understand why you're asking about the balances being in red or black. It varies from account to account, depending on the activity. I know the difference between a debit and a credit, but Quicken seems to have reversed the effect of debits and credit on account balance.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Red or Black are VERY RELEVANT.

If it is Black (Positive balance) and you enter a charge against it, the BLACK number will decrease. If it is RED (Negative balance, normal for credit card) and you enter a charge against it, the Red number will increase numerically (further in debt).

Now, you can continue to believe what you want, but the color of the print is very important and relevant in this situation.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

-1000 + -100 = -1100.

1000 + -100 = 900.

1000 + 100 = 1100.

Positive numbers are black, negative numbers are red in the balance.

In the Charge and Payment fields all amounts are black because the "field" decides the sign.

If you turn on the Amount column it will show the amount with its sign.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • LizzieT
    LizzieT Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok, I figured it out. Quicken, for reasons we will never know (but some programmer does!) downloaded deposits that had already been reconciled into my account, mainly in the period 7/2023-11/2023. Just two or three transactions per account, no logic to it I can see. Since Quicken is set up to automatically reconcile all accounts, I was able to search for cleared transactions, delete them, and voila. Finito!

With the exception of the Wells Fargo account, which downloaded 1400 duplicate transactions. That took some time to clean up.

Thanks for all the mansplaining of red and black, that really helped. LOL

This discussion has been closed.