One Step Update dialog box should remember checked boxes from my last visit

Options
wtd60
wtd60 Member, Windows Beta Beta

Every time I go to One Step Update the accounts to update are all unchecked. I must select the 'all' button at the top of the page. Quicken should remember what I did the on my last visit or else allow me to set my preferred check boxes with the Apply button at the bottom. What does Apply do anyway, I've clicked on that many times and I can see no affect at all

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @wtd60,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. When did you first notice this issue? Which version of Quicken were you using when the issue started? How often is it forgetting your preferences (for example, does this happen every time you run Quicken, every time after you first open the program, etc)? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• wtd60
    Options

Thanks for your consideration.

To assist with this issue, please provide more information.

When did you first notice this issue?
    It's been doing this for years. It seems to me that it started after I did a file validation when I was having some data weirdness going on. That validation broke a lot of things, but this one never recovered.

I see several other users complaining about this on the user's forum, so it's apparently not uncommon. I was thinking that I was asking for a product improvement, but from your reply I gather that it's not supposed to behave this way (?) and that it should remember my preference (?)

Which version of Quicken were you using when the issue started?
    I have no idea; years ago.

How often is it forgetting your preferences (for example, does this happen every time you run Quicken, every time after you first open the program, etc)?
    It always does this. It never remembers. Not even during a given session. The first time I click on One Step update, I have to provide my vault password (2 steps) and then I have to click on 'all' 3 steps). Every other time I click on 'One Step' update during that session, I have to click on 'all;. (2 steps). Every new session results in the same sequence.

Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?
    It's usually on Google Drive. I've had it on my local drive on numerous occasions while traveling, but that made no difference.

Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 
    Yes, it's synched with Google Drive. I often have to wait for sync to complete before I can open the data file.

Bill D

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

You mentioned that it's one of the things that broke after you ran a validate years ago. Do you recall if you attempted any troubleshooting back when the issue first started, such as restoring a backup from before you ran the validate? Do you recall what kind of weirdness prompted you to run the Validate?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

• wtd60
    Options

Yes, after thinking about it for a while and trying to draft a response for you, I have actually recovered the memory:

There was a time when one or more of my Bank of America accounts wouldn't download and when I would go to try to reset the account, the 'Online' tab was not there, (it's always BoA that gives my trouble). This would happen fairly regularly over several years, although it's probably been more than 7 or 8 years since the last time. I don't think that I did anything to make it stop; it must have been one of the updates. However, the damage to the One Step update process has persisted.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Since this sounds like a file specific issue, the first troubleshooting step for this issue is to run a Validate/Super Validate. Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• wtd60
    Options

Progress report: After 1st Validate - Online Services tab has disappeared from my main BoA checking account. This result lead me to correct my previous memory of why I had to validate way back then. I now can't recall why I validated in the first instance, but the result was a missing Online Services tab in this one account. I then had to restore from a backup to restore that tab. It's only this one account out of 10 Bank of America accounts.

Also, the problem with the non-sticky check boxes in the One Step Update window was not fixed.

I'll try Super Validate now

• wtd60
    Options

After Super-Validate: No change

On-Line services tab still missing.

One-Step Update check boxes still not sticky (tried twice, once after checking all boxes, clicking apply, update)

• wtd60
    Options

I tried this today:

1. Deactivated all BoA accounts
    2. Super-validate file (online services tab disappears for BoA checking account only)
    3. Setup Online services on any other BoA account
    4. I am able to link to ALL of my BoA accounts, including the one with the missing OnLine services tab
    5. After linking, and downloaded transactions, all of the BoA accounts are now linked and have an on-line Services tab EXCEPT for the problematic BoA checking account.
    6. That account still has no On-Line services tab and has not downloaded any transactions

Also, the checkboxes for the accounts in One-Step Update are still not sticky. Quicken does not remember which boxes I had checked on the previous instance, nor does it react when I click the Apply button.

I think that for my next step will be to move all of the transactions from the problematic BoA checking account to a newly created account in Quicken and then try to link that account to Boa.

BTW, super validate deletes the backup directory. Fortunately I also manually backup to another directory, but those files are older. You should probably warn people about that when you recommend that they super validate their file.

Bill D

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

If you wish to keep troubleshooting the selected accounts in the One Step Update settings screen not being saved, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file, which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates. Note: You would not need to "shrink" your file unless you believe that older information is causing the issue.

It's important to know that all online services will be disconnected in the copied file, and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID. I'd recommend reconnecting a few accounts so you can test if the issue is resolved before reconnecting everything.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• wtd60
    Options

Making a copy of the data file did the trick.

1. That's after moving 20 years of transactions from the account that would lose the On Line Services tab to a new account.

(A very cumbersome and time consuming affair. I had to click on Yes, I want to move this transfer transaction that's already reconciled in the target transfer account….. hundreds of times. I would be good to have a "Yes to all" button in the Move/Copy tool, especially when moving lots of transactions. Also, what's the point of asking me if I want to move this transaction if Quicken doesn't show any indication of which transaction it is or which accounts are involved?)

2. After super validating the file to ensure that the new account would not lose its On Line Services tab (it didn't)

3. Making a copy per your instructions above.

4. And finally reestablishing all of the online links for all of the accounts that could access it. (8 hours total time)

Thank you for your invaluable help. I've been living with these issues for years (unable to validate with out breaking on line access to the checking account and non-sticky check boxes. Everything seems to work as expected now.

Bill D

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for the follow up,

I'm glad to hear the issue is resolved.

Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.