Adding New Investment Account

Options
Sken52
Sken52 Member ✭✭
edited February 27 in Investing (Windows)

I added a new investment account, choosing "offline account" when I created it. It appears on the left with my other investment accounts, and in my investment portfolio. But when I go to enter the opening transaction, it does not appear on the "Securities" drop-down in the transaction box so it won't let me add a transaction. When I type in the security name in the box and try to enter my transaction, I get an error message that Quicken can't find this account. I don't understand. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try entering the security first under the tools menu, maybe? Can you post a picture of the General Tab of the Accounts "Account Details" window?

Did you specify "complete details" on the set up?

Not sure what the problem is, I've done what you're describing plenty of times.

• Sken52
    Sken52 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for trying to help, and while it's been a while since I created a new account, I don't remember this happening either. Under the Tools menu is how I added it. Tools-Add Acct-Offline Acct-Other Investments-Other-Entered the acct name-Finish

Like I said, it now shows up on the left with my other investment accounts with a zero balance, and it shows up in my Portfolio with a zero balance. But when I try to enter a transaction, it does not show up in the "Security Name" dropdown box, so I can't select it to enter any information. Thanks again,

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've never taken that particular path all the way to the end of the trail of Other-Other, so I tried it in a test file and everything went exactly like any other offline Investment Account (typically those Investment Accounts above "Other Investments") that I've created. Perhaps it's something to do with your file, like data corruption or something? A validation might help.

Have you created these Other-Other Investment Accounts in the past?

• Sken52
    Sken52 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for responding. It's been so long since I created an investment file, I don't remember how I configured it. I think maybe I just need to call Support. Thanks again.

• Sken52
    Sken52 Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't think so. The account I created shows up under "Investments" on my left-hand menu, along with my other existing "Investments" accounts, mostly mutual funds. It also shows up in my "Investment Accounts" list under the "Investments" drop-down at the top. I can bring up the register for the new account, open the "Enter Transactions" box and fill in just about any box. The problem is it is not in the "Security Name" drop-down box, so I can't select it, and without that it won't let you complete the transaction. All my other investment accounts are there, and I have to select the account in that drop-down to enter a transaction in them.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In general, accounts hold securities, so an account would not be in the securities list.

I have never had a single mutual fund (SMF) account, so I don't know exactly how it looks, but this might be want you have, but regardless, you would need to create a security for the mutual fund.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.