Account Balance Report

Options
JOHN PERRELLA
JOHN PERRELLA Member ✭✭
edited March 19 in Reports (Windows)

I have one investment account that in the Account Balance Report shows a balance of $58,000, but the actual balance is $13,000. I have Reset the account and I have validated and repaired the file with no change.

What else can I do??

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @JOHN PERRELLA,

To help troubleshoot this issue, please provide more information. When did you first notice this issue? Do you have more than one investment account? If so, are any of the others reflecting incorrectly in the report? Is there anything obviously incorrect in the investment account that may be causing this incorrect value to show on the report? Is the account reflecting correctly in other reports? Is the problem report a saved report, a newly created report, or do you see the same behavior in both saved and new reports?

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• JOHN PERRELLA
    JOHN PERRELLA Member ✭✭
    Options
    1. First noticed about a month ago
    2. Have a dozen accounts
    3. All the other accounts agree to the account balance. I also have an annuity that I do not use in this report and it shows a negative 103,000 when it is a positive 227,000
    4. Have looked trough the history of the accounts and find no reason for the discrepancy.
    5. The Net Worth has same error, but the Lifetime report is correct.
    6. Both

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"I have one investment account that in the Account Balance Report shows a balance of $58,000, but the actual balance is $13,000. I have Reset the account and I have validated and repaired the file with no change."

On the Display tab of the Customize dialog for the account, check the box:
    Account detail.  That will cause Quicken to display the value of each security (and the "Cash") used in each report investment account. That might shed some light.

"All the other accounts agree to the account balance. I also have an annuity that I do not use in this report and it shows a negative 103,000 when it is a positive 227,000".

It's not clear whether you think that is pertinent to the issue of this discussion; if it's not pertinent, you might want to start a new discussion - with a more detailed description - for that problem.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JOHN PERRELLA
    JOHN PERRELLA Member ✭✭
    Options

"On the Display tab of the Customize dialog for the account, check the box:
    Account detail.  That will cause Quicken to display the value of each security (and the "Cash") used in each report investment account. That might shed some light."

This report showed a security that is no longer held in this account with a balance of the $46,000 difference. Don't know how to correct. Did notice that in June 2020 there was a stock split that for some reason the value in the security view popped up around $50,000 and then dropped. Security is held in another account that reconciles with no problem.

• mshiggins
    Options

By " ... no longer held in this account ....", I assume you mean the security is no longer held at the financial institution. Because Quicken thinks that security IS still held in that account.

I think you should review the transactions for the security in question (in the problem Quicken account) - especially for a period around the time the security became "no longer held". Compare the Quicken transactions to the transactions on your real-world account statement(s). There may be one or more Quicken transactions missing (such as a Sell, for example), or incorrect (a Sell for too few shares, for example) in Quicken.

-JP

• JOHN PERRELLA
    JOHN PERRELLA Member ✭✭
    Options

Have not been able to identify any activity that would have caused this issue But I still have the question as why for over 5 years there was no issue and then about 2 months ago there was an issue. I have not gone back and changed anything, so what did Quicken do to make this happen?

• mshiggins
    Options

You've provided no evidence that Quicken "did" anything to cause your problem. It's possible Quicken did something wrong, but without evidence there is no way to know.

What's most likely is that you have one or more missing, extra, and/or incorrect transactions. 

You need to dig out the evidence that demonstrates when (and why) a security you say is no longer held, is appearing in a current report with a value of $46,000.  If the security is no longer held in the account, that means it must have zero shares - but zero shares of a security cannot have a non-zero value.

To help pin down when the problem first occurred, you can work with the same Account Balances report.  

Exclude all accounts but the one where the incorrect value occurs, and all securities but the one that should have a zero value. 

Make use of the report "Date range" and "Interval" features to look at multiple periods that might be involved. If you believe that the problem began in the last two months, set the Date Range "Custom to date" to start at least 3 months ago, and start by setting the Interval to "Week". Note which week showed a change in the value of the security from zero to non-zero.

Then look in the Quicken investment account (or look at an Investment Transactions report) for the transaction(s) for that week - presumably one or more of those transactions created a non-zero share balance for the problem security.

-JP

This discussion has been closed.