How can my Chase VISA credit card account reconcile when there is a missing transaction!?

Options
wburdick5
wburdick5 Member ✭✭

Running Quicken (Q) Classic Deluxe, release R54.9, Build 27.1.54.9 which is the current version on Windows 10 Home v22H2. The following happened shortly after I installed this version:

1. Downloaded Chase VISA transactions.

2. Reviewed and accepted all into register.

3. Attempted to reconcile, but there was a $52.36 discrepancy; the "online balance" (from Chase) was more negative than Q register balance.

4. Logged onto Chase site and found a January 25th $52.36 charge that had been posted two days earlier, but was not anywhere in the Q register.

5. Did a .QFX download from Chase, opened it with Notepad, and the January 25th $52.36 charge was present.

6. Attempted Q download again, but no transactions downloaded.

7. Used Tools/Account List/Chase VISA, and went through the deactivation/reactivation process.

8. Attempted Q download again.

9. NO NEW TRANSACTIONS WERE DOWNLOADED, BUT THE Q REGISTER BALANCE CHANGED AND MATCHED THE ABOVE ONLINE BALANCE, SO NOW THE ACCOUNT RECONCILED EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A MISSING TRANSACTION!

10. Please note that there is a charge earlier in the month (January 19th) to the same payee for the same amount of $52.36. This transaction is correct, but is it possible that it is somehow being considered a duplicate by Q and so the new one is not being downloaded?

Feel free to respond directly to williamburdick@sbcglobal.net

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It seems like you're reconciling to the "Online Balance?" I wonder if the Online Balance is erroneous - that's certainly something that happens based on posts in here. But I still don't understand how the register balance can change if you can't find a transactions that's the reason for the change.

If you know that the transaction is legit but it's not in the Account then you need to enter it and try to reconcile to the next paper statement.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Options

Check the Opening Balance of the Account. The dollar amount associated with the missing transaction might have settled there.

• wburdick5
    wburdick5 Member ✭✭
    Options

I just checked that; not the case. Thanks, though.

• Tom Young
    Options

Absent some wild bug, if the register balance changed and the Account now reconciles that $52.36 should be there, somewhere. Have you used the Search field to find all instances of this amount?

In the OFX log are both January transactions for $52.36 in there? Same FITID? That would explain your "duplicate?" question, but nothing else.

• wburdick5
    wburdick5 Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes as to the register search field. Found only the one. I didn't think to check the FITID in the OFX log, but I know the DTPOSTEDs were different. Seems like that should make the transactions distinct.

• Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    Options

It seems like you're reconciling to the "Online Balance?" I wonder if the Online Balance is erroneous - that's certainly something that happens based on posts in here. But I still don't understand how the register balance can change if you can't find a transactions that's the reason for the change.

If you know that the transaction is legit but it's not in the Account then you need to enter it and try to reconcile to the next paper statement.

• Jeff_C
    Jeff_C Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm having the same issue with a Chase Visa card account. Some random transactions that have cleared the bank are not being downloaded to Quicken. In every case, I can manually enter the transaction and mark it cleared. If I had manually entered the transaction before it had cleared the bank, I just had to mark it cleared if it was missing from the download.

This has been happening for a few weeks. In every case the transactions were legit and had cleared the bank, but Quicken didn't know about them after a one step update.

• wburdick5
    wburdick5 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have investigated this problem further. Here's what I've found:

In Quicken Classic Deluxe Version R54.16, Build 27.1.54.16, the most current version for Windows 10, “One Step Update” is failing to download charge transactions from a Chase VISA credit card in the following scenario:

If there are two transactions from the same payee posted on the same date with different amounts, only one will be downloaded into Quicken.

However, the .QFX file downloaded from the Chase site shows both transactions with the exact same payee <NAME> (as it should), the exact same date posted <DTPOSTED> (as it should), with clearly different transaction amounts <TRNAMT> (as it should), and different transaction identifiers <FITID> (as it should),

USER WARNING: As expected, if you attempt to reconcile this account, all other things being equal, the reconciliation will differ by the amount of the transaction that did not download.

Please DO NOT attempt to correct this by using “Tools/Account List/Edit/Online Services/Reset Account”. When I’ve done this, here is what happens (no, I’m serious!):

The final register balance in Quicken’s register for the account WILL BE CHANGED to equal the Chase online balance, even though the transaction will still be missing.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@wburdick5 I think you have hit this right on the head. I just had this happen in my Chase Visa card. I had two Burger King transactions for the exact amount, one on 2/1/2024 and another on 2/8/2014 and the second one didn't download.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I just went to reconcile my Chase Visa account and found 6 transactions over the last month that did not download. In my case it was not necessarily two transactions from the same payee on the same date. It appears some may have been and some definately were not. I've never downloaded a QFX file from Chase but I will attempt to do so to see if I can see what was downloaded on each date.

I just manually entered the missing transactions and was able to successfully reconcile the account. For now I'll keep an eye on what Quicken says the balance is and what the online balance is and make sure they agree. For me it started around January 23 and continued right up to the statement closing date of 2/7.

• cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Just checked the download of the transaction data from Chase. Of the 6 missing transactions, only one fell into the category of having other transactions from the same payee with the same transaction and/or posting date. The other 5 did not have this similarity. They were payees that that show up more than once over the course of any given month, though.

Has this been reported to Quicken so they can fix it?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@cdennett That is good information, you should use Help → Report a problem, to send that to the developers, along with your logs.

Signature:
  • cdennett
    cdennett Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Problem report sent to Quicken. I urge others with the issue to do the same.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@cdennett

I've never downloaded a QFX file from Chase but I will attempt to do so to see if I can see what was downloaded on each date.

As I understand it, the QFX preparation process is significantly different than EWC+ process Chase now uses for downloads. Thus, seeing what the QFX file shows may not be indicative of what was sent through the EWC+ process.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10
    Options

Let me warn you, the unique Ids in the Web Connect/QFX file are different from the Express Web Connect + ones. So, the first time you import a QFX file you will have duplicate transactions you will have to delete.

EDIT: And that also means that one wouldn't want to switch back and forth between the two connection methods!

And for people that don't know where the download button is on the Chase site, select the account name from the main page and then select this icon to get to the download page:

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, other than they "download transactions" that "should be the same" the process is now completely different.

Signature:
  • lmacmil
    lmacmil Member ✭✭
    Options

I have had extensive direct contact (via phone) with Quicken support on my issue which is with 1st Source Bank and my BOA Mastercard. I have sent them numerous screenshots via email and logs via the Quicken "report a problem" function. The last email I received from them (just yesterday) acknowledged receipt of my screenshots (showing the Quicken registers and the online bank and CC transactions). Their response said "We proceeded and reported the problem to the group that handles this. As of right now, we don't need anything else, but we'll send you an email to let you know if that changes or if the problem has been fixed."

FWIW, my Chase Visa/Quicken connection has not missed any transactions.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, for what it is worth, I have two charges that are exactly the same, two days apart in my Chase Visa credit card, and the second one downloaded without a problem. Checked the Download ID and it starts with the different date. So, to me that at remove the possibility that the financial institutions (since this is happening on more than one financial institution) are sending the transactions with duplicate unique Ids.

More and more I suspect the problem is in Quicken Inc's "Quicken Connect Services/Sync".

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.