Changing CD Account Type

Options
gdahlin
gdahlin Member ✭✭
edited March 2 in Investing (Windows)

When I set up my CD Account 6 months ago, I chose the Account Type as "Other Investments." Is there a way to reclassify it as "Checking"? Thanks for your help!

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

There isn't any possible way to move investment account transactions to a checking account. I would also point out that some financial institutions treat a CD as a savings account. Basically, banks treat them as individual savings accounts, and brokers treat them as a security in an investment account. I have two CDs at Synchrony, and they are treated as a savings account, and I can even download the transactions, which are basically the original deposit (which I changed to a transfer from the funding account) and the month interest payments.

And there isn't any possible way to change an investment account to a checking account.

You will have to recreate the account from scratch and put in whatever transactions you need (manually, which it what I assume is how they got into the investment account). Given that all you are going to have in there is the original deposit and then 6 interest payments, that shouldn't be hard to do.

I would suggest Savings instead of Checking as the account type though.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why? A CD isn't a checking account …. it's an investment.

And, there' no way to change account type. You'd need to create a new account and move all of the transactions to the new account.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

There isn't any possible way to move investment account transactions to a checking account. I would also point out that some financial institutions treat a CD as a savings account. Basically, banks treat them as individual savings accounts, and brokers treat them as a security in an investment account. I have two CDs at Synchrony, and they are treated as a savings account, and I can even download the transactions, which are basically the original deposit (which I changed to a transfer from the funding account) and the month interest payments.

And there isn't any possible way to change an investment account to a checking account.

You will have to recreate the account from scratch and put in whatever transactions you need (manually, which it what I assume is how they got into the investment account). Given that all you are going to have in there is the original deposit and then 6 interest payments, that shouldn't be hard to do.

I would suggest Savings instead of Checking as the account type though.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • gdahlin
    gdahlin Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks to both of you for your help!!

—Jerry

This discussion has been closed.