Why do I have to login to Quicken every time I open the program

Options

Every time I open the Quicken program I am asked to login to Quicken with my user ID and password. I am running Quicken Deluxe for Windows on a virtual desktop on my MacBook Pro using Parallels. I have all the latest updates for both iOS and Windows 10. I tried the previous suggestions twice which were to log out and log back in as a new user. I have the latest version of Quicken. I do not use Quicken Mobile or store anything on Quicken cloud. I only download transactions from my banks.

I appreciate any new suggestions or solutions

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @macSBLA,

To help troubleshoot this issue, please provide more information. When did this issue first start? Have there been any recent changes to your network? Do you use a VPN? If you have multiple Quicken data files, does this happen only with one specific data file, or does it affect all of them?

This issue can sometimes be caused by a bad or outdated authentication token. If that is the cause, you should be able to correct it by logging out of your Quicken program, then logging back in again. To log out, go to Edit>Preferences>Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts. Then click the blue Sign in as a different user link.

A confirmation window will come up. Type "yes" in the textbox, then click the Sign Out button.

Quicken will log you out, then bring you back to a login screen. Once that screen comes up, login using your Quicken ID and password.

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• macSBLA
    macSBLA Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi,

This issue has been happening on and off for over a year, recently everyday. I have deleted the program, reinstalled. I have logged out and signed in as a user, as suggested above, multiple times. I have the yearly subscription to Quicken Deluxe so I have the latest version. I only use one data file. I have been using Quicken since 2003 so my data file is large. I do not use a VPN.

Regarding changes to my network, I did get a new modem about a month ago.

Thank you for any help

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited February 5
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

Since it sounds like this issue pre-dates the new modem, I wouldn't expect the modem to be the cause of the issue. The behavior you describe makes me suspect that it's a file specific issue. I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• macSBLA
    macSBLA Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your suggestions. Since the issue seems to have become more persistent since replacing my modem, is there a solution for a new modem?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

For a new modem, you would want to check for any network settings that are different than in the previous modem. If the new modem is the cause or a contributing factor in the issue getting worse, it would likely be either a different setting or a feature that wasn't present in the previous modem.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

• macSBLA
    macSBLA Member ✭✭
    Options

I have completed all of your suggestions and I am still getting the window to sign in to Quicken ID before I can open my file. Based on a google search, this appears to be an ongoing issue with Quicken

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

With how long this issue has been going on, restoring a backup from before the issue started probably isn't an ideal solution. I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file, which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates. Note: Unless you believe the issue is being caused by older data in your file, there is no need to "shrink" your file.

It's important to know that all online services will be disconnected in the copied file, and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID. Note: Please test to make sure the issue is resolved before reconnecting accounts.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.