Mortgage loan graph not working.

Options
brossyg
brossyg Member ✭✭

I have a mortgage loan and the graph shows the decline in principal. A year ago, I made an additional principal payment and the graph declined correctly with the lower balance. A week ago, however, I made another identical principal payment and the graph of the balance did not decline.

What is the issue?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window (the Split transaction detail for both the old and the new register transaction)
    showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect
    your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    How do I post a screenshot in the community from windows

How do I post a screenshot in the community from a mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

For loan payment transactions, it's important that the Split transaction detail for additional principal amounts is recorded properly.

• brossyg
    brossyg Member ✭✭
    Options

It is only the graph that does not show the pay-down. The principal amount is reduced correctly on the loan summary and loan payment details pages, but the pay-down is not reflected in the graph. Both pay-down transactions are identical (except for amount) and there is no split detail for the paydown. Both pay-downs are simply transfers of cash from a brokerage account to the loan account. Both pay-downs are entered as transfers of cash in the brokerage account (about a year apart) and both reduce the loan balance shown in the loan summary and the loan register. Only the first one, however, is reflected correctly in the graph of the loan balance on the loan summary page.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In a correctly created and maintained OFFLINE mortgage account register, Quicken creates a specially formatted Split transaction to show your monthly payment, as follows:

To be able to show payment detail correctly, for a regular payment, Lines 1 and 2 are calculated amounts from the payment schedule and should normally not be changed.
    Line 4 is optional and contains the amount of escrow withheld with each monthly payment. When the mortgage company pays for insurance or taxes, separate transaction must be entered into the Escrow account register. This detail never appears as additional lines in your regular payment.
    Line 3, for a regular monthly payment, is always present and contains $0.00 or the amount of additional principal sent in as part of your monthly payment. Either a one-time payment or a regular monthly additional principal amount.
    If you send in a separate one-time payment for additional principal, the Split dialog must look like the monthly payment example, with $0.00 in lines 1, 2 and 4. The amount of additional principal is entered in line 3.

If you deviate from this, the loan account calculations and their graphs and tables will not be correct.

And if your loan account is connected online, for information download from the bank, all bets are off. The accuracy of the loan displays in Quicken depends on what the bank downloads … if that works at all.
    For best results, my recommendation is to always maintain a mortgage account OFFLINE.

This discussion has been closed.