Anyone else missing old transactions?

Options

I am using Quicken Classic Deluxe subscription on a Windows 10 desktop.

I usually update my data and transactions bi-weekly.

In mid-January, I opened Quicken and was prompted (as usual) to install an update. After installing the update, I downloaded and accepted new transactions. Then, I began to reconcile my accounts. Two of my accounts — one checking account and one credit card account — would not reconcile correctly. After MANY hours, I discovered that two transactions from 2008 in my checking account register were missing. I also discovered that one transaction from early 2023 in my credit card account register was missing.

How does this happen??? I've been using Quicken since 1995, and I've never had transactions just disappear (delete themselves).

After fixing everything, I made a backup.

Now, two weeks later, I open Quicken again and install an update. I downloaded and accepted new transactions. But then, to my surprise, a noticed a different credit card account, which previously showed a $0.00 balance, now shows a balance owed of nearly $3,000. I have not used this credit card in months.

Rather than spend many hours again trying to discover the discrepancies, I just restored the backup that I made in mid-January.

These issues are causing me to question the integrity of Quicken's software.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues with the most recent software updates?

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @BreakupsAreHard,

To answer your question, transactions should not randomly go missing. The most likely cause would be issues in your data file. Keeping your main file on a shared network drive or synced with a cloud service can increase the odds of such issues (click this link for more information). There is also a small chance of file issues any time the file is converted, including when it is converted to work with the newest update to the program.

You mentioned that you restored a backup from mid January. Is the issue resolved in that restored file, or have you still had issues with transactions randomly going missing?

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• YaYa
    YaYa Member ✭✭
    edited February 7
    Options

I have the same issue. I normally reconcile once a month. Today I went in and one of my accounts is not balanced and the difference goes back many years. It's probably missing a transaction somewhere, but I haven't found out where yet. My monthly totals are good to 2020, and I'm still looking back further.

I applied the update today - which is probably what usually triggers this. This has happened before and I struggle with getting rid of Quicken since this is not a new issue. But I haven't found another simple accounting software that I like yet.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @YaYa,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. Do you recall when this issue first started? How often does it happen?

I suggest you check the opening balance on the account that is not balanced. Since the opening balance is a calculated value, it is the value that is most likely to change if there are any file issues.

If the issue coincided with the update, you may also want to try restoring a backup from before the issue started and test to see if the issue persists in that newly restored file.

I look forward to your response!

Quicken Kristina

• BreakupsAreHard
    Options

@Quicken Kristina Thank you for your response. However, the issue has not resolved. I am not using my data file on a shared drive or on multiple computers.

The latest 4 missing transactions caused a lot of concern and threw off balances in three accounts. The missing transactions were from my checking account in November of 2006 and January of 2007. One of the missing transactions was a payment to my credit card company, which caused the credit card balance to be incorrect. Another missing transaction was a mortgage payment, which caused the mortgage balance to be wrong.

In addition to the 4 missing transactions, I noticed that Quicken changed the payee of one transaction from Walmart to WalmartPetRx (which wasn't even in existence at the time of the original transaction).

I have now fixed all of the errors and have taken the following additional steps: (1) made a complete copy of the correct file; (2) made a complete backup of the correct file; (3) changed file password; (4) changed vault password; (5) added a password requirement for modifying transactions; and (6) discontinued cloud sync.

If I have to keep doing this, I will soon be an ex-user. 😭🤬👋

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

When you say you made a complete copy of the correct file, do you mean that you went to File>Copy or Backup File and selected the "Create a copy or template" option?

If so, are you currently working out of the copy you made, or out of the original file?

Have any of the issues returned since you took those additional steps?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.