Citibank download disaster

Options

I have 3 credit card accts with Citibank, and I had an old one that I discontinued in 2015. Around the first of this year Citi said they had a new download system and needed to reconnect. The first account they reconnected had all of its transactions since I opened it last April moved into the discontinued account as new entries, losing all the add'l info (account, etc.), four transactions that belonged there, and one transaction that should have gone into one of my other Citi cards. I didn't try to reconnect my other Citi accounts for 2 weeks, and then did so gingerly after backing up carefully, one at a time. They are ok. So, I tried downloading the messed-up account, and it sent all new transactions into the old, discontinued card account.

What can I do? (Note: I have been using Quicken for Windows for over 20 years)

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @ElizabethC,

Are all 3 accounts using the same login information? Do you receive any error codes or messages?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• ElizabethC
    ElizabethC Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, I have a single login that gives me access to all 3 current accounts. I can select one of the three (now 4, since they re-activated the old one) to work with at a time.

• ElizabethC
    ElizabethC Member ✭✭
    edited February 7
    Options

The message I got from Citi when I tried to run Quicken's update for the first time was, "Citi needs to re-link this account." Then it went on for several minutes, leaving the current disaster. One of the weird things is that the sick account has picked up a couple of copies of transactions from the other-wise ok accounts.

• ElizabethC
    ElizabethC Member ✭✭
    edited February 7
    Options

Studying the wreckage more carefully by looking at account details, I find that the old account now has the account number of the new account, which also has the same account number. This apparently happened during Citi's "re-linking". I suppose I can hand-edit the old account (erase its account#). That should stop things going in the wrong place. Will that work?

But I now have a bunch of transactions in the wrong (old) account. I have tried copying them & pasting, (Copy transaction/Paste transaction) but Quicken won't do that. I suppose I could type them in to the correct account, but that's laborious. Any other suggestions? I'm afraid to just dive in and do stuff without some expert advice.

• ElizabethC
    ElizabethC Member ✭✭
    Options

Jasmine, please see my recent messages, showing what I've found. Right now I'm afraid to use that card because things are going to the wrong account. My expenses since 4/2023, some of which are relevant to taxes, are in the wrong account awaiting acceptance. I am afraid to run another update. This is a real mess. Thank you, ElizabethC

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @ElizabethC,

This issue indicates that there may be an issue with the connection and linking of your CitiBank accounts with Quicken.

If you haven't already, I suggest you try to deactivate all accounts for this financial institution, then force Quicken to "discover" all available accounts and see if this will help resolve it. Please, follow the instructions below in order to do so. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding (just in case).

1. Open the Account List in Quicken (Tools > Account List OR Ctrl + A)
    2. If present, select the Show Hidden Accounts checkbox at the bottom of the Account List
    3. Edit each account with this financial institution to Deactivate (or Remove From One Step Update) on the Online Services tab
    4. Click on the General tab and remove any info displayed in the Financial Institution, and Account/Routing Number fields. Note: The account must be deactivated first before these fields can be edited.
    5. When finished, close the Account List
    6. Close, then re-open Quicken
    7. Navigate to Tools > Add Account 
    8. Walkthrough this process as if you were going to add a new account, providing the login credentials and answering any security questions/processes presented until you reach the screen where Quicken displays the Accounts Discovered at the financial institution
    9. Very carefully LINK each of the found accounts to the appropriate account you already have set up in Quicken.

Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• ElizabethC
    ElizabethC Member ✭✭
    Options

Oh, thank you, Jasmine! That worked, and everything is fine. It was really traumatic, for a while. Aloha from Hawaii.

This discussion has been closed.