When is it safe to upgrade?

Options
QknConfused
QknConfused Member ✭✭

When is it safe to upgrade? I've used Quicken since 1999. Update R54.16 is available. I'm on R52.28. Each upgrade seems to contain significant problems, well beyond my knowledge level. I would love to read an "all clear" when a new releases' bugs are worked out. Is R54.16 safe?

(Thank you to those who respond to users' many pleas for help!!)

Current Quicken Deluxe. Desktop PC. Windows 8.1. No use of Cloud or Quicken Pay.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you experiencing any problems with R52.28?

R54.16 appears to be reasonably stable, but it has not resolved all the recently introduced problems.These problems are mostly related to reports.

QWin Premier subscription
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The search capability in Quicken is also not completely functional as it will produce inaccurate results for numeric searches.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6
    Options

I would love to read an "all clear" when a new releases' bugs are worked out.

Anyone that would do that is a fool/naive in my opinion.

Quicken will never be bug free, the version of Quicken you have, has plenty of bugs in it. The question is always about what problems might affect a given user's use case. And no one here is going to know that.

EDIT: Examples.

I have used every single release that has come out in many years. For my use case I have used every one of them "successfully" for my use case. Without a doubt there are tons of people that wouldn't have the same experience.

Right now, if you have Citi accounts that need to transfer from Express Web Connect to Express Web Connect + it seems like it is a coin toss if you will have problems or not. On the other hand, if you have those same accounts and stay on R52.28, sooner or later they are going to cut off Express Web Connect entirely and the people that haven't converted over won't be able to download transactions.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    Options

The search capability in Quicken is also not completely functional as it will produce inaccurate results for numeric searches.

@leishirsute Quicken has many longstanding issues. Is this one of those, or is a new problem since R52.28, which is the subject of this discussion?

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 6
    Options

@QknConfused - I think you are letting all of the negative comments and experiences with upgrades get to you needlessly. In my opinion, you are doing a bigger disservice to yourself if you skip an upgrade in fears that it would cause issues. There are fixes in these updates that are critical and features that are needed. I always upgrade as soon as one is available, and I have never had an issue from an upgrade.

Just be sure to do a backup of your data file before upgrading. Then you can always go back and restore the prior version if you encounter any issues.

But I understand it is all about your comfort level. But when you are ready to keep current with upgrades, I would first install a Mondo Patch to ensure you are completely updated with past upgrades.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

And then move forward with keeping current with updates.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6
    Options

Quicken is very fragile - and has bugs in all areas - it all depends which areas you might be using -

I am on R53.26 - and it runs fine without issue for me….
    BUT - I don't use the SYNC feature at all, and don't use a lot of the Quicken features, therefore I don't wander into the minefield.
    Each new release fixes some issues - and introduces new bugs and new issues - it all depends on your unique running of Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Find was completely broken a few releases back but "fixed" in a later release only to discover it was not completely fixed. I have found workarounds to the Find bug, but it lingers on in the new versions in addition to other bugs introduced with new versions.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You may want to do what I do.

When a new version becomes available, I wait one week before installing it. If during that week, another update becomes available, I wait an additional week. If there have been no further updates during the week, I will then install the latest version.

So far that has worked for me.

Note that I do not use the download feature.

Quicken user since 1995.
    Current subscription user.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited February 6
    Options

Another way to look at this is that Quicken has a major release, with a new number in the first 2 digits, about once per month. In the Release Notes you will often see a long list of new features and bug fixes. The most recent of these was R54.9.

They generally start by making the release available to a limited number of users - you may see a notice when you do a One Step Update. If the release introduces significant new problems or announced fixes or improvements don't work, there will be one or more "Hot Fix" releases, with a different number after the dot. The most recent of these is R54.16.

When most of the new issues are resolved, they try to install the latest release each time you start Quicken, so that you get it automatically unless you have your Windows UAC set so that you can decide whether or not to accept it. That is currently the status of R54.16.

Unfortunately we users do not have access to a comprehensive list of reported bugs and workarounds, and sometimes when issues are reported to be fixed, there are still problems. The closest thing we have is the Release Notes and this list of product Alerts.

https://community.quicken.com/categories/product-alerts

Quicken is never perfect, and sometimes issues that are important to a limited number of users are not resolved for months or years.

• QknConfused
    QknConfused Member ✭✭
    Options

I appreciate all your comments.

This discussion has been closed.