Increase the number to 3,650 so you can auto-enter up to 10 years in advance

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What would this change allow you to do?

Perhaps there is another way to accomplish the same goal - maybe Quicken's Lifetime Planner.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can't believe how much faith people have in their ability to predict the future.

I can't even look into the past and get numbers that are stable enough that I can accurately calculate my personal inflation number.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can do this already. Personally, I'd just set up the transaction to never end, then manually end it at the right time. But to each their own.

1. Hold down the Shift key while choosing Edit this instance and all future instances.
    2. Marvel at the alternate dialog you see which you have never seen in all your years of Quickening.
    3. Change the End On date to any date in the future. See 10 years ahead in the screen capture below.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

What would this change allow you to do?

I can't believe how much faith people have in their ability to predict the future.

An obvious example is a fixed mortgage with 10 years remaining.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well that one I would have used the loan scheduler to get the reminder correct. The principal and interest wouldn't be correct otherwise.

Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can see having a Reminder end date 10 years from now, but it sounds like the OP wants the Reminder entered in the register 10 years in advance. I am trying to understand how that would be useful. Even with a fixed-rate mortgage, you might refinance, sell the house, the servicer might change, your bank might change, etc.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good catch, I didn't see that,

Auto Enter 999 days in advance

In that case @Rocket J Squirrel 's suggested workaround will not work. The field he suggested is the "end date".

That tells me that this one of the people that is trying to use their register (and maybe the projected balances) as way to predict the future.

Personally, find that a bad idea even for a month, since things can always change, and then you have delete/recreate all that mess. Whereas with reminders that aren't automatically entered you can use the "show reminders in register", so that it can be changed as needed.

But even with reminders (not automatically entered in the future), I still say other than like @Rocket J Squirrel mentioned for say a loan (which is better handled by the loan scheduler) I can't see how anyone can predict 10 years into the future.

Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

Instead of arguing amongst ourselves, let's ask the OP.

@sps2112c , what exact scenario causes you to want this? Please explain the details.

• John Winkler
    Options

Is there a way to set this to 3650 days? I can only set to 999 days

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's what this discussion is all about … I wonder, is it really necessary to preload your register with up to 10 years worth of future transactions which may or may not happen as recorded?

IMHO, and concurring with @Chris_QPW comment, it's not needed. You can use the scheduled reminder transactions for future instances of a reminder in both your register and in the Projected Balances view to predict your future account balances. But, with 10 years' worth of transactions already in your register, how easy (or not?) is it to change all these transactions because you got a raise in your paycheck, your car insurance bill went up, etc.? Change the "next and all future instances" of the reminder and your forecast numbers automatically adapt. No need to edit dozens of already entered register transactions.
    And, working with your account registers will be a lot easier if you don't have to muddle through hundreds of prerecorded future register transactions.

• John Winkler
    Options

i was just wondering if you can go past 999 days or is that they max amount of days that quicken allows. I tried 1000 and it doesn't take.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You are correct that it won't go past 999, on the other hand, for all the reasons stated above I think your idea to increase it will fall on death ears.

Signature:
  • John Winkler
    Options

i didn't care if it changed or not, i was just curious if it could go past the 999. i can manually do a year in like 15 min.. So at most it would take me 1 1/2 hours to do 10.