Fidelity 401k not showing correctly in Quicken

Options
Travis R
Travis R Member
edited March 7 in Investing (Windows)

Good Morning,

I just added my 401k to Quicken and while it shows the proper cash balance, it shows orders of magnitude off for the securities balance. Perhaps in the order of 10 orders of difference. I've added the account to quicken with Complete (not simple) account type and I am not sure how it is so far off. Where do I begin to troubleshoot something like this?

Answers

• Travis R
    Travis R Member
    Options

Well - I am 99% sure it is the Security Price that quicken is using. It's about $3000 off per unit. How do I fix that? And where is that coming from that it is so far off?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Go to the account in Quicken and click on Holdings. Next to Show:, pick Value. This will show each of the securities in the account, how many shares you hold, and the price per share.

If there is one or more where the price is way off, click on the security name to show the Security Detail view. What is the security name and the ticker symbol?

Click on More then Edit Price History. This will show what Quicken thinks the price was each time it was updated. If there are prices that are way off, you can correct or delete them.

Sometimes Quicken's quote provider gets confused by the ticker symbol and sets an incorrect price.

Please let us know what you find.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Travis R
    Travis R Member
    Options

Well - I linked it to my last update. It started putting the number of shares in as the price. That would explain why my current 401(k) is nearly 45million dollars in value….HA. I fixed it, synced and it came right back. Maybe just a bug?

• Travis R
    Travis R Member
    Options

The other thing I see it doing, once I fix the prices, is that it's doubling the value - it's adding cash plus securities

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If it's including both cash & securities, are you using the cash in the account to record the purchase of the securities?

If not, how are the securities being recorded in the account?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Travis R
    Travis R Member
    Options

The program is doing whatever it is doing.

The securities are one amout and then cash is another - though they are indentical. If iI adjust case to 0, it just reverts back after sycning.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Is this a Fidelity NetBenefits account?

Are you sure the account is in Complete mode, so that you see a list of transactions when you view the account and not a dashboard with 4 big rectangles?

The big rectangles indicate that the account is in Simple mode, and there is a longstanding issue with NetBenefits accounts behaving as you describe in Simple mode.

• Travis R
    Travis R Member
    Options

I've only ever used Complete….where do I even select Simple Mode?

• Travis R
    Travis R Member
    Options

NM - I found it. Should I put it into Simple Mode?

• Jim_Harman
    Options

NO! Don't put it in Simple mode.

Until recently, NetBenefits accounts were working correctly in Complete mode but not in Simple mode. Hopefully they have not also broken Complete mode.

What you should be seeing is cash from your paycheck being transferred into the account and that cash being used to Buy securities, causing the cash balance to go down.

Please go to Edit > Preferences > Investing and make sure the Show hidden transactions box is checked. This will make any Placeholders visible. Placeholders have an Action type of Entry and have a gray background even if they are not selected.

Do you have any Placeholders in the account?

• Travis R
    Travis R Member
    Options

Now that you got me looking my IRA is off too. Digging in a little

• Travis R
    Travis R Member
    Options

Both my IRA and 401k show no placeholder entries and I just had to do the same thing with my IRA and tell it Cash of $0 - then it balances correctly. Im going to save the file, back it up and try syncing again.

This discussion has been closed.