I can't print a single partial page check on Quicken... Need list of printers that CAN (edit)

Options
marielara
marielara Member
edited March 30 in Reports (Windows)

The is the second printer I've purchased HP 9025e, and it cost me so much money in shipping and returns, and it still does not print single checks.

It should be listed on the box so that you have a choice if you know you need to print single or double checks!!!!!!👺

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It sure would be nice to have a list of currently available printers which are known to print partial-page checks.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• marielara
    marielara Member
    Options

Yes, that would be great! I have spent a lot of money on this "new" printer. I had the HP 6700 for more than 10 years and never had a problem. This is the second "new" printer that I purchased, and each time is costs me money to return and get a newer one that costs more than the previous one. It would be perfect if it were listed somewhere, the printers that would print partial page checks.

Thanks for answering. I am at a loss, i.e., money, and time trying to print a check.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

I see HP 6700's on eBay if you're willing to buy a used one. At least it would be a known quantity. I see a new one on Amazon for the low, low price of $1,100.

I also see 8600's on eBay, which is what I currently have and it prints partial page checks just fine. The thing I like about the 8600 is that it accepts a second paper tray which I use only for check stock. I don't know whether the 6700 has that option. Ooh, there's a new one on Amazon for only $1,250!

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is odd, the 9025 specs say it handles 3x5 to 8 1/2 x 14 including #10 envelopes so you would think it would do single checks. Are you trying to feed them long edge first, or print wallet size checks or something?

QWin Premier subscription
  • marielara
    marielara Member
    Options

Hi, Jim! I've had the same printer for years and all I did was open the tray, place the check in upside down, close the try, and hit "Print" in Quicken.

It would pull it in and print the check - no problem.

Now if I try to do the same (in portrait mode - as was suggested) it pulls the check in, it gets stuck inside, and then prints the check on plain paper, which, of course, is useless to me, and I have to retrieve the now useless check.

I'd love it if someone had an answer for me. It was suggested that I use a "check form," that I could probably purchase on line. I tried; didn't find anything.

Thanks for answering! If you have another suggestion, I'd love it. Have a great day!

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@marielara Please describe exactly what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to print a "wallet" check (2.75 x 6") business size (3.66 x 8.5")?

Is it a single loose check or is it on a larger piece of paper?

Are you feeding the check long edge first, like a very short piece of paper, or short edge first?

What settings have you selected at File > Printer setup > For printing checks?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12
    Options

If you can't resolve the partial page check printing issue, you can try to use form leaders to feed your printer with a proper 8.5x11" sheet while printing a partial 1- or 2-checks page in normal portrait orientation.
    See https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/supplies/forms/form-leaders for an example of form leaders. Check your local office supply store, search on the Internet or order from Intuit.

My 2cents' worth:
    I use Voucher Checks (1 business size check + 2 stubs on an 8.5x11" sheet). My printers do not have a manual feed tray or 2nd paper tray that can easily be reconfigured to feed partial pages (1 or 2 checks left from a 3-checks-per-page sheet), so for my occasional check printing needs Voucher Checks are easiest to use.
    When making a purchase decision for a new supply of check forms and considering your own check stock to use, consider how easy or difficult it is to feed special forms or odd-size partial pages into your printer.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I thought I would mention this in the R54.9 release notes:

• Resolved a printing issue where customers were unintentionally printing all checks when attempting to print a single check. Additionally, corrected the display of the Canadian spelling "Cheque" in some cases.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • marielara
    marielara Member
    Options

Rocket J. Squirrel, your response made me laugh. I saw the one on Amazon; however, when I saw it, they wanted $950, plus $145.00 shipping.

It's funny that the price keeps going up.

I did see the used ones on Ebay, and I should have purchased it first before paying so much money for the "new" one, which seems to be worse than buying a used one.

Thanks for your response!

• marielara
    marielara Member
    Options

I've been on the phone for hours (literally) for the past two weeks and have gotten nowhere. I cannot use this printer. They've stopped manufacturing the 6700 and the 6800, so we are really in a pickle.

I don't know what to do. I've tried asking the question on HP if there is a printer that prints single (8.5" x 3.2") single checks, but to no avail. I need to print checks. I pay my bills on line or on auto; however, there are times when I must use a check.

I'm getting really tired of it all. The techs at HP are all wonderful and pleasant, but that hasn't fixed my problem.

H E L P ! ! !

• marielara
    marielara Member
    Options

UKR, I know voucher checks would be easier, but it doesn't make sense to have the extra paper. I get all my statements on line, and then save then in files on my computer. I don't like or have all this paper in file cabinets. After a while, it gets ridiculous.

Three wallet checks on a page suits me fine, and I've been doing it for more then 10 years.

Thanks for your suggestion.

• Jim_Harman
    edited February 24
    Options

You have not answered my earlier question: Have you tried feeding the check sideways, short edge first, so the printer sees it as a narrow sheet rather than a short one?

Wallet checks might be too narrow, but business checks should work

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you ever considered my advice from two weeks ago, re: form leaders?
    If you can't easily load a single check sideways into your printer and make it feed properly, without getting hung up in the printer, form leaders are going to be an alternative.

The only other alternative is to change to using Voucher Checks (1 business size check plus 2 stubs on a sheet). No more short pages to fiddle with.

Right now I'm using an older Epson Stylus CX4800 printer. I can load a stack of voucher checks into the one and only paper tray, straight from the box, and print full sheets without any problems.
    However, to load single Standard or Personal checks, I would have to reconfigure the input tray's paper guides as if I was printing envelopes … too much of a hassle. So, for many years, I've been using voucher checks on all my previous inkjet or laser printers.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Way back when I used to attach the single or double wallet checks to an 8.5x11 sheet with the Post-it tape that was sold at the time. My self-created form leader. That tape no longer available but I’m sure you could do similarly with a basic post-it.

• marielara
    marielara Member
    Options

q_lurker, thanks for your answer, but I tried using a small piece of tape at the top of the check and paper, and it pulled it in, but the check went in first somehow, and it still printed the check on plain paper. SMH

• marielara
    marielara Member
    Options

Hi, Jim_Harmon, sorry, I didn't realize that I hadn't answered your question. Yes, I did try; actually, I tried it both ways. I tried it first as 8.5" x 3.5' and it did not work; then I turned it the other way 3.5" x 8.5".

It didn't work either way.

• Jim_Harman
    edited February 24
    Options

That is surprising. Most printers are designed to print No. 10 envelopes fed short edge first. Sometimes you must adjust the portrait/landscape print settings for it to print in the right direction, but I think Quicken does that for you if you select the correct settings.

Sometimes there is a special envelope feeder with adjustable side guides, or you use the manual feed tray.

You can also get checks on an 8.5x11 sheet with 1 check per page. For me the extra paper was not wasted, I used it for shopping lists.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

@marielara Do you get an error message from Windows, Quicken, or the printer? I believe newer printers have a "feature" to detect paper size mismatches. There is some kind of sensor, perhaps something as simple as an infrared LED, looking for the paper's reflection. If it doesn't see it, it throws an error.

If my theory is correct (and there's no guarantee), it should be possible to cover up the sensor by taping some white paper over it. Assuming you can find it in the first place. A service manual for the printer might provide a clue.

Failing all else, I'm out of ideas and I'd buy the form leaders and live with that.

• marielara
    marielara Member
    Options

Thank you, Rocket J Squirrel for your very helpful suggestions. I don't get an error message from Windows, Quicken, or the printer. When I put the check in, the printer pulls the check in, does not "write" on it, and then, a sheet of paper comes out (stock paper in the printer) with the check printed on it.

It doesn't make any sense to me. I have also tried changing paper size before printing (which I've never had to do with my 6700 printer) and is still does not print it properly.

It's not Quicken. I have contacted Quicken, but they have nothing to do with the printer. As a matter of fact, they reset all the Quicken settings, so I tried again, and still no luck.

In desperation, I took a check and put it on a sheet of paper with a tiny bit of Scotch tape, thinking that since they (the check and the paper) were together, it would work. It didn't. The check came out first, with the sheet of paper with the check printed on it.

I don't know that form leaders will help me, but I've been unable to find them anyway.

HP is picking up the printer today, and I'll have to do some research to find a printer that will print single checks from Quicken.

Again, thanks! Wish me luck!

Have a great day!

• marielara
    marielara Member
    Options

Thanks, UKR! FedEx just picked up my printer. I purchased it from HP's website (they told me it was better so that I could ask them for advice) and still had the problem with the "new" printer.

Also, I hate HP+ app. It takes three moves to do what I used to do in one. I would place the document on the platen glass and hit scan. It would scan it, and then my task bar would have a little flashing icon. When I opened it, my scanned page was there and I saved it into a file.

Now, I put the document on the platen glass, go to the computer, open HP+app and hit "scan." Then it scans the document and sends it to Neverland, so I decided to make a "scans" file on my computer so that the document defaults to the "scans" file, then I can open the file, save it with a name. After that, I can put it in a file.

Don't you think that it's kind of silly? Have to do so much when it was done in one?

I checked out form leaders and saw that they have them on Amazon, and others.

Thanks so much for everyone giving me suggestions. At this point, I have to go out to Costco, Staples, or Best Buy to purchase a printer and hopefully unlike HP's Sales Department, someone can give me some good advice about a single check printed from Quicken on the printer that I eventually purchase.

Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.