Some credit card accounts will not reconcile correctly.

Options
Randy Storey
Randy Storey Member ✭✭

Two of my credit card accounts are failing to reconcle correctly. I downloaded transactions from my financial institution. I appecption all the transactions that had cleared. They were marked with a C under the Clr column. There are two transactdions that are uncleared (no entry in the Clr column) and they are dated for the current date or before. When I select Reconcile, I get There are no uncleared transactions. All my other accounts will show the Reconcile window with all the current transactions and those marked with c for me to confirm and accept the reconciliation. Appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @Randy Storey,

When did this issue begin to occur? After a recent update? Which financial institution are you experiencing this issue with? Are you receiving any error codes or messages? Are the transactions that are uncleared actual transactions that show also on the bank's website?

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Randy Storey
    Randy Storey Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Jasmine,

I do not thing it occurred after an update. It started within that last week. I am manually downloading from Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU). It is only affecting my credit cards with NFCU. No problem with my checking and savings accounts.

NFCU did have a major update to the user account website in the last week that may be a contributing factor.

No error message just no uncleared transaction even if they are blank or marked with c.

• Randy Storey
    Randy Storey Member ✭✭
    Options

I've been attempting to trouble shoot this issue and may have identified the root cause.

1. I deactivated online setup for the credit card account.
    2. When I manually reconcile the account I get the popup and noticed the default value of the New Statement Ending date is not todays date but the last time it was reconciled.
    3. I looked at the qfx file and cannot see if there is an xml entry to update this value to the current date.
    4. If the New Statement Ending date is not updated to the current date and all previous transactions were reconciled you would get a prompt that "There are no uncleared transactions".

Can you tell me if Quicken should have a default New Statement Ending date for the current day and/or if the qfx file is supposed to have an entry to update this value?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Can you tell me if Quicken should have a default New Statement Ending date for the current day ...."?

When you reconcile an online-enabled account to a "Paper statement", you must supply the "Ending statement date".

When you reconcile a manual account to a "Paper statement", Quicken supplies a "New Statement Ending" date - the user is responsible for insuring that date is correct.

... and/or if the qfx file is supposed to have an entry to update this value?"

When you reconcile to the "Online Balance", the online balance amount and its date are supplied by the financial institution - that is: the amount and date are in the download.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Randy Storey
    Randy Storey Member ✭✭
    Options

Still trying to resolve this issue. Today 3/27/2024I relinked my Quicken VISA card to my NFCU VISA credit download (qfx file). I accepted all the matched transactions and got the same prompt. No uncleared transactions. I edited the Online Services of the account account and unchecked the Reconcile using online balance. I then selected Reconcile Account and I noticed that the online data stated that the New Statement Ending date was 2/27/2024 not today's date when the download occurred or when the last transaction had posted.

Where does quicken get the New Statement Ending date when using the online balance?

• Randy Storey
    Randy Storey Member ✭✭
    Options

I think I found it. Looking at the downloaded qfx file for 20240327 I found the following:

<LEDGERBAL>
    <BALAMT>-520.51000</BALAMT>
    <DTASOF>20220215104633.263</DTASOF>
    </LEDGERBAL>
    <AVAILBAL>
    <BALAMT>38479.49000</BALAMT>
    <DTASOF>20220215104633.263</DTASOF>
    </AVAILBAL>

This corresponds with the Ending Statement Date of 15 Feb 2022 that Quicken is showing for the online balance.

Back to NFCU and see if they will address it which is difficult because you can't coordinate with their IT department our their outsource web site provider directly.

Can Quicken coordinate with NFCU?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Can Quicken coordinate with NFCU?"

Actually, it is most likely Intuit that is formatting the downloaded NFCU transactions.  You may be able to get your problem through to Intuit by contacting Quicken support.

But I think that Intuit's role in downloading NFCU transactions is going to change in the near future - and Intuit may not be willing/able to devote resources to fixing a problem in their code that will soon no longer be used. 

See:

https://www.quicken.com/support/why-am-i-receiving-message-about-my-navy-federal-credit-union-accounts?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=connexity&cnxclid=zrd5501ec3ed6d11ee90111240a9a55c7148da1665c83a4b6aa939e56baac6b3d508100180a04fde63e3&utm_term=zrd5501ec3ed6d11ee90111240a9a55c7148da1665c83a4b6aa939e56baac6b3d508100180a04fde63e3

[When the NFCU switchover to Express Web Connect+ has completed, I believe NFCU will be primarily responsible for the selection/formatting of their downloaded data.]

In any event, you'll probably have to wait for an improvement one way or the other.

While you wait, I think you have (at least) two choices.

1.) NFCU offers Web Connect downloads, and NFCU (not Intuit) is totally responsible for the contents of their Web Connect downloads, including the online balance and the date of the online balance. You can try using Web Connect and reconciling to an online balance.

Or:

2.) You can continue to downloaded from NFCU using Express Web Connect, and switch from reconciling to an online balance to reconciling to a paper statement. That puts you in (manual) control of the reconcile statement ending date.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list