BUG: Report of quotes and investing headlines that were not updated is incorrect

Options
Jim_Harman
Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 11 in Investing (Windows)

In the One Step Update summary, there is a potentially very useful report that is supposed to show which quote updates were unsuccessful. Because this report is broken, it is very difficult to tell which securities are having problems with quote downloads.

[update 4/11/24] I investigated this in a test file and found the following:

1. The count of securities where updates were attempted and the report of those that failed does not include securities with blank tickers. These securities should not be selected for quote downloading anyway, but this is confusing. To be included in the count of attempted quotes, a Security must have download quotes checked, a non-blank ticker, and either a non-zero current share count or the Watch List box checked.
  2. If there are any quote updates that were attempted but not found by the quote provider, there is a Show a report link. The report shows the correct number of securities that failed (not including those with blank tickers) but the wrong securities. It appears to randomly select securities with one-character tickers, sometimes showing the same security more than once, even if its Download Quotes box was not selected or if that security's quotes were actually downloaded correctly.

To test this, I selected 10 securities for quote downloading - 2 each with valid and invalid 1-character tickers, valid and invalid multi-character tickers, and blank tickers.

Steps to reproduce:

Go to the Security List and select a combination of the above securities, checking and un-checking the Download Quotes boxes. Leave the Watch List boxes selected.

Select a security to open the Security Detail view and click on Update to refresh the quotes.

Go to Tools > One Step Update Summary and click on See a report if available to review the results.

Repeat with different combinations of securities.

I have submitted screenshots, logs, and my test file via Report a Problem. Thanks to @JoelC for help with this investigation. This has been broken for years. See this lengthy discussion for more information

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.