creating report of withdrawals from investment account

Options
codygoebel
codygoebel Member ✭✭
edited March 16 in Reports (Windows)

I have an investment account in which I periodically sell assets and then a few days later transfer the cash into my checking account. I am classifying these transfers as using the cash transactions menu as "Withdrawal". I have tried to create a report to show the total of these withdrawals over time but the report menu does not seem to allow me to have it report "Withdrawal" but instead only "Withdrawx". Advice needed, please.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is this the Investing Transaction report?

You need to select an Action of Cash for withdrawals.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken's "coding" is quite confusing (why so many different choices?)

The x in Withdrawx means that it is transferred to another account. I think it would be very unusual for a Withdraw to be anything but a Withdraw X.

But I see that my withdraws are coded as Cash like @Jim_Harman points out, but I also have a few coded as XOut. And note to see them you have to have the right setting on for including transfers.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • codygoebel
    codygoebel Member ✭✭
    Options

I was able to create an investment transaction report but the actions did not list Withdraw. I went in a reclassified each of those to Xout and was able to create a report that serves the purpose. Unclear why an action that Quicken includes cannot be used in a report but oh well. thanks to to both of you that responded.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You weren't able to set the Action to Cash as I said above?

QWin Premier subscription
  • codygoebel
    codygoebel Member ✭✭
    Options

choosing the cash action in the investment transaction report produces the withdrawals but also dividends, expenses, and other transactions that I wanted to exclude

• maxwelwp
    maxwelwp Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

The withdraw and withdrawX (Cash transferred out of Account) actions seem redundant however behave differently.

First - I have scheduled monthly transfers (withdrawX) from my IRA to my checking account. Downloaded transactions from the IRA only match if the action is changed from withdrawX to withdraw.

Second - If I change the downloaded transaction from withdrawX to withdraw, a transaction report from the IRA register leaves the NUM field blank but report withdrawX if leave the transaction as withdrawX in the registers action field.

Third - changing the downloaded transaction to withdraw will create a new second transaction in the checking account in addition to the scheduled transaction. Deleting the withdraw transaction from the checking account removes the downloaded transaction from the investment account but leaves the original scheduled withdrawX transaction in the checking account resulting in a mismatch between accounts.

Don't know how the software differentiates between Withdraw (and selecting an account to transfer the cash to) and Cash Transferred out of Account (and selecting an account to transfer the cash to) but seems something is broken between the 2 functions.

First and foremost, why doesn't the software match a withdrawX action to the downloaded withdraw transaction. Secondly, why are there 2 separate functions (Withdraw and Cash Transferred out of Account) when both ultimately perform the same result (cash is transferred from one account to another)?

“Never stop dreaming,never stop believing,never give up,never stop trying, andnever stop learning.”
    Quicken user since 1993

This discussion has been closed.